Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any Idea Who These Two Gentlemen Are?  (Read 581 times)

Bottleguy

Any Idea Who These Two Gentlemen Are?
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:44:52 pm »
In a lot of uncleaned Greeks, mostly Peloponnese. 21mm.

Thanks,

Rick

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
Re: Any Idea Who These Two Gentlemen Are?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:18:07 am »
Rick,
   It looks like a provincial to me.  It looks like you have the obverse on the right and the reverse on the left.  The obverse appears to be laureate, but you could convince me it's radiate.  There seems to be some legend there, but I can't read it. Can you?  The reverse looks like Zeus or a bearded Herakles.  Maybe that can give you a start.

Kurt

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:26:23 am »
Looks like Hadrian to me.
PeteB

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »
I believe it is a provincial from Corinth under Hadrian. BCD Korinth, 604 or 607. Obv: bust with laurel wreath, rev: head of Zeus with tainia. I am curious to read the opinion of my friend roek, who is an authority in Peloponnesian coinage.
Regards, Costas 

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:48:36 pm »

It is hard to access a comparison-image, but your coin also might be a Trajan / Jupiter Ammon issue like Varbanov (Eng.) 3335 (an AE22) from Cassandreia, Macedon. Ammon's horns are not always distinct on these.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

roek

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »

Hello,

Costas  is absolutely right: This is BCD 604 (or 607), SNG Cop. 286 var. Obv: head of Hadrian and reverse: head of Zeus. Inscription on the reverse should be something like COL. L. IVL. COR (Colonia Laus Julia Corinthus).

Regards,
Roek

All coins are guaranteed for eternity