Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I have done something wrong ?  (Read 2021 times)

Auggieclown

I have done something wrong ?
« on: February 10, 2010, 01:35:26 pm »
Hi

I had a copper coin (I think that is an Constantius II ) covered with dirt. I soaked the coin in demineralized water for 1 week (daily change of water) brushed wit a soft brass brush and then soaked in olive oil for 1 week.

See the results please  :(

I have attached an detail also.

Photos are taken with an use microsope bought from wiki gadgets.

Thanks again for your help

Alec

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: I have done something wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:33:36 pm »
looks like the coin was eaten away by corrosion long before you got it

The soaks would, more than likely,  not have damaged it to that point. The only thing is the brass brush,  even soft ones  can remove the patina,

but as I said,  in this case it looks like the coin  was severely corroded before you got it. 

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »
Indeed, there was never any hope for this one. Nevertheless, you should NEVER use a brass brush. You'll destroy any patina on your coin.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:56:34 pm »
Probably your coin was covered by a very soft oxidation ( but not patina) layer. These surfaces must be stabilized by wax or resins before careful mechanical cleaning attempts may start. But not by any metal brush.

A brass bruch may be useful for soft dirt on a hard patina or metal surface. But you have to observe the progress or damage constantly.

Auggieclown

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:38:33 pm »
Good lesson for me !

Thanks !

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »
I use brass brushes (specifically the Nic-a-brush type I sell).  As with every other tool and approach to cleaning, you have to use them with care.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

gavignano

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:06:57 pm »
I bought some nic-a-brushes here and do use them. They can nicely remove multiple layers of dirt, if done carefully. I use them under running water (true, some purists not only don't soak in tap water, but won't rinse either). I would say never use a steel brush, even on concreties.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 04:04:29 am »
I once, out of frustration with my cleaning successes in general attacked a nicely patinated slug with a bruss brush (the one Joe sells) and ended up with a (still nicely patinated!) Hostilian from Viminacium. I never found another coin to try that particular trick on though.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity