Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: parthian new attributions  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
parthian new attributions
« on: February 06, 2010, 04:01:37 pm »
Hi,
CNG (Cf Triton VII, Triton XIII,...), most probably on the basis of the works of Dr Assar *, adopts new attributions for early Parthian rulers (and modifies slightly dates of the reigns), different from those of "An Introduction to The Coinage of Parthia - David Sellwood, 1980".
I don't understand why these evolutions are not taken into consideration anywhere else, and particularly in parthia.com, the best website for parthian coins.
Is it because of too much of a work in the updating process, or because these modifications are not felt as relevant enough to be necessary ?
Thank you for your opinions and input .

* Genealogy and Coinage of the Early Parthian Ruler, I (2004)
   Genealogy and Coinage of the Early Parthian Ruler, II. A Revised Stemma (2005)
   A Revised Parthian Chronology of the Period 91-55 BC (2006)
   etc...

tkmallon

Re: parthian new attributions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:12:55 pm »
I think most are awaiting the publication of the Parthian Sylloge (I'm not sure when -- probably within the next five years or so).  Seems no one pays much attention to Assar because of his record of interaction within the numismatic community -- that's about as nice a way as I can put it.  That, and I doubt very much all of his conclusions are correct.

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
Re: parthian new attributions
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »
Thanks Thomas.
...five years !!!  :o :'(

All coins are guaranteed for eternity