Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: .....POSTIMVS..... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: .....POSTIMVS.....  (Read 739 times)
mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......

« on: January 30, 2010, 03:59:51 pm »

Hi,

Rather pleased, after what  was a dismal numismatic week, to finally get my hands on a first issue, long legend coin of Postimus (sic). What's more it is the clear variant of the SALVS PROVINCIARVM with no horns (but a clear beard) on the reclining river god. Cunetio 2367.

Need to get a VICTORIA AVG one next!

Regards,

Mauseus

Jochen
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Homo sum nil humanum a me alienum puto.

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:47:50 pm »

Nice find! I think it is father Rhine on the rev. The ship may be a navis lusoria?

Best regards

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 01:38:12 pm »

Postumus' ship has no ram, and a different bow shape to the only pic of a navis lusoria I can find. My guess is that it's a trading vessel rather than a warship like the one on his LAETITIA AVG reverse, which  has the ram.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: .....POSTIMVS..... « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop