Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian Medallion - agony of the day  (Read 2342 times)

Optimus

Domitian Medallion - agony of the day
« on: February 07, 2010, 04:01:17 pm »
I can obtain this very interesting Domitian provincial coin (or medallion??):
THRACE. Philippopolis. AE 34 mm Provincial Medallion (26.5 gms)
Domitian (81-96). RPC-351. Laureate head of Domitian right./Tyche standing before Hebrus reclining right. The first imperial issue for this city and the largest denomination.
My agony is caused by the following:
- I have no other Provincials in my collection. This one is going to stick out like a sore thumb  ;D
- It has no patina. True, the surfaces are not corroded, if this is a consolation...
- It is not exactly cheap....it will not cost me the proverbial pound of flesh but is not very far from that either...
On the positive side:
-Portrait is quite nice and the compositions are well centered
- Coin is not exactly common (even if not insanely rare)
- Flan is nice and big
So, what should the verdict be - should I add it to my collection or should it go to somebody else's coin paradise? All comments and ideas are welcome...

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Domitian Medallion - agony of the day
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:50:45 pm »
I'd say - go for it.  I'm biased towards large coins, though. 

Sometimes I'll buy something out of my field of interest because it's rare

My recent agony of the day was whether to buy a Domitian Alexandrian Drachm or a Claudius Sestertius.  The Claudius Sestertius,which had been around for a long time, sold a couple of days before my buy, so the question was settled for me.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:00:50 pm »
I think this is one of those very common cases where the seller uses the word medallion to inflate the price.
Andreas Reich

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »
"True. the surfaces are not corroded, if this is a consolation..."  It should be a great consolation!  I think this is a very attractive specimen (a little better than mine), whether patina  be present, or no. If you have no provincials, shame on you  ;); if you get this one, you will have more!  And it is big!  Cheers, George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Optimus

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:15:55 am »
Actually it was Moushmov who classified this as a medalion, I think.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 01:03:06 pm »
I like it: excellent portrait, interesting reverse, a large flan...what more could you ask for?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 01:51:10 pm »
None of the other sellers on acsearch repeated that though. I think it's a dirty trick to call anything larger than 33mm or so a medallion.  I'm not saying it's not a nice coin but it's not a medallion and shouldn't be priced like one. Then again, I have no idea what you mean by 'not exactly cheap'.
Andreas Reich

Optimus

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 02:27:12 pm »
Means six hundred sweet greenbacks...

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »
About four years ago, I paid less than a third of that for my (very slightly inferior) example, but this one IS big, and I have seen several at about $600!  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 02:02:14 pm »
You will ger varying oppinions all the way to the bank.  If you like it and can afford it, then get it!  If you have any doubts, then get another coin you know you really want.  If it were me, I would get it if I could afford it; beauty is in the eye (and wallet) of the beholder... ;D

Best, Noah

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 11:28:08 pm »
As a general rule I try to get the best examples that I can reasonably afford. This has over the years meant missing out on many little things and some big things. Consider what you may miss out on... a fine dinner, new TV, new computer, new watch, new car... all these things you can do without for a while longer, and then get them because they will always be available. But will you always have the chance to own a very nice AE 34 Domitian provincial?

Best regards,
Steve

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 12:18:00 am »
I wouldn't call it a Medallion. It's the same size as a sestertius. To me a medallion needs to be 38mm or larger.

Barry Murphy

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 08:34:48 am »
I would leave it for someone else. In my eyes, it's not a particularly attractive coin and $600 should buy you something significantly nicer.

Auto

Optimus

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 04:48:19 pm »
Thanks for your opinions,guys. I finally decided to skip on this one. Indeed, the cash can be invested even better. It can actually buy a dozen bottles of premium malt whisky...  8)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 09:32:57 pm »
Thanks for your opinions,guys. I finally decided to skip on this one. Indeed, the cash can be invested even better. It can actually buy a dozen bottles of premium malt whisky...  8)

ummmm... 14 year old Oban!

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity