Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemaic Bronze Before And After  (Read 1956 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Ptolemaic Bronze Before And After
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:14:46 am »
Here's an interesting coin that appeared to be pretty bad when it arrived (left - sorry i had to rotate it somewhat to line them up to look similar).  Judicious attention led to the result on the right.  23mm diameter.  Similar results on the obverse but no 'before' photo.

Whaddya think?

PtolemAE

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Ptolemaic Bronze Before And After
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:38:04 am »
Amazing !

Can we common mortals get some more information about your invocation rituals and magic potions?

???

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:41:20 am »
Amazing !

Can we common mortals get some more information about your invocation rituals and magic potions?

???

this coin also was pretty encrusted on the other side.  it resisted my usual cautious mechanical cleaning and water soaking.  using enough mechanical force to remove the hardened minerals would have left scratches and damage on the surface and patina so i resorted to some enhancements to mostly dissolve the hardened mineralized stuff adhering firmly to the bronze.  then additional mechanical work (under a microscope) to remove the last of it from tiny crevices. 

this coin had none of the organics (colored waxes and dust-charged gooey gums) i've seen on many coins that are applied to 'create' contrasting details and fill in surface defects.  those are all fairly easy to remove.  this time it was almost all hardened minerals stuck tight to the metal, and a bit of grimy dirt.  i suppose lemon juice would have done the job of dissolving the carbonate/limestone type minerals but i had none handy so i used alternatives.  i had no idea the mineral crust was so thick that there was that much struck detail and nice surfaces underneath.  what a nice surprise, and it's a fairly scarce type to boot.  the first time i've relied on dissolving minerals (instead of careful scraping) but now i'm not afraid to try it on similar hard cases in the future.

PtolemAE

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:25:50 pm »
I used some fairly harsh cleaners.  I don't want to name or recommend them.  They worked for me but were I to do it again I'd probably use lemon juice.

PtolemAE

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:45:48 pm »
Ave!

Quote from: PtolemAE on January 24, 2010, 02:25:50 pm
I used some fairly harsh cleaners.  I don't want to name or recommend them.  They worked for me but were I to do it again I'd probably use lemon juice.

PtolemAE

Well, occasionally I do some astonishingly bad things to coins as well...no surprise, huh? Sometimes it works and sometimes not.  :tongue: I rarely use lemon juice on copper coins, though. Does it work for you, and under which circumstances? Care to share?

Also, thanks for the caps, amigo.  ;D

Last thought: Praise for your excellent website. It's truly wonderul and the first place I turn to whenever I have a Ptolemy coin to ID. Kudos!

Best regards,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:16:09 pm »
I actually have never used lemon juice.  I just figured the (citric) acid would work as well as any other acid to dissolve carbonate mineralizations.  In this case I used something that was just handy, because the coin was so encrusted I figured there wasn't much to lose.  But it turned out nicely.

Thanks for your very kind words about the www.ptolemybronze.com web site.  Glad you're finding it useful for identifications.

PtolemAE

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:28:35 pm »
Ave Dan!

Glad to hear that you've not used lemon juice on copper/bronze coins; much too harsh, trust me.

Next time you have a coin like this one, you may wish to use GG's #2 or #3 in very short soaks.

Not sure if you remember, but a couple of years ago I copied and pasted one of your site attributions for an eBay sale of mine. You busted me and sent a sharp reply to change it and not copy your attributions. I learned my lesson; always change the nomenclature!  :police:

Best regards as always,

Kevin

I don't know what GG is and the stuff i used on this coin was a lot harsher than lemon juice.  Trust me, I had my fingers crossed the coin wouldn't vanish along with the mineral encrustations :)  Could well be that citric acid would attack copper - i don't know.  I'm glad what I used didn't seem to harm the bronze at all.  But I'll take your advice to avoid lemonade :)

I'm happy the site is useful for you and others.  That's what it's for.  When you get accurate info (as best I can provide it) for your sales and auctions I think that also helps collectors who buy from you (and I'm one of them).  I usually permit use of descriptions from ptolemybronze.com *with attribution* and, as I recall, that is all I asked you to do when I spotted verbatim cut/paste material from my site in your Ebay auction.  I didn't understand what you had against telling your bidders where your identification info came from instead of re-wording and paraphrasing it.  Nothing unfair about my policy and I have no apologies for it.   I think there's a copyright statement right at the top of every page on the site :) 

PtolemAE

DirtyBronze

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:58:57 am »
excellent work - thanks for sharing

All coins are guaranteed for eternity