Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is the word 'triskeles' the plural of triskele?  (Read 7398 times)

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Is the word 'triskeles' the plural of triskele?
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:53:00 pm »
I thought the word 'triskeles' was singular and I was surprised to find out that Wikipedia and Wiktionary think the singular is 'triskele'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskelion#Spiral_triskele
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/triskele

This symbol is frequent on coins, such as https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=82368q00.jpg&vpar=68&zpg=39928&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

The online Merriam-Webster dictionary seems to agree: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/triskele

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Is the word 'triskeles' the plural of triskele?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 06:23:27 pm »
Hmm, interesting. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:34:11 pm »
I know that in the Greek language you can sometimes pronounce a word with an "s" at the end without it becoming a plural form.  For simple example, my name in greek, Mihali, can also be pronounced Mihalis.  Or lets say dog, skilo, can be pronounced or spelt skilos, while still being singular.
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:52:56 pm »
Mihali,

I was going to say the same thing.  The name example is a very good one.  Dino/Dinos.  Niko/Nikos.  etc.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:46:26 pm »
I use triskeles as singular and for my sprachgefühl (feel for language) the plural is triskeleis. This I have read too in older scientific literature.

Best regards

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:00:00 pm »
Interesting.  Historia Numorum uses triskeles as singular (for example, here: http://www.snible.org/coins/hn/lycia.html ).  Perhaps tomorrow I can check in the O.E.D. at the library.

The reason I stumbled across the Wiktionary and Wikipedia entries was because I was trying to figure out the Italian word for 'triskeles' so that I could search Italian eBay for ancient coins and modern tokens with it.  (There is a triskeles on the flag of Sicily [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Sicily ] and I have some unidentified modern medalets with this image.)

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 08:48:09 pm »
This strikes me as another example of what we see with trousers, pants, breeches and any other item of clothing made to accommodate a pair of legs.  Triskeles is in itself necessarily a set of three so falls into the collective category where you can't have a single.  If you spill something on only the right side of your leg attire do you say, "I stained my pant!"?  Children ride one tricycle but they never wear a solo pant.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 08:57:05 pm »
I'm not so sure that analogy works, Doug.  A more analogous example might be a tripod.  It's singular and like a triskeles has three legs .  You can also say, either I broke my tripod or one leg of my tripod and the plural is tripods.

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:10:05 pm »
Both the O.E.D and the Random House Unabridged list triskele as singular with no plural indicated. The Random House dictionary also has triskelion, with plural triskelia.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 11:18:23 pm »
well Star Trek suggests that Triskeles is singular, so that ends it!

~ Peter

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 11:38:38 pm »
Jochen and I are both glad that somene, if only the writers at Star Wars, had some Sprachgefühl.
Tri-skelês, neuter in -es, is in ancient Greek, first, an adjective.  We have only upper case  :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Iota: :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Eta: :GreeK_Sigma:.
If its prime form were a noun, I would be sure that Jochen was right, but since it is an adjective one would form the plural with whatever noun-gender was expressed or understood. 
Like most I-E adjectives, it freely became a substantive, as, in Latin, boni are good men, and bona are good things.
As a substantive it denotes that shield device formed of three bent legs, making a sort of whirligig expressive of running, I think.  It probably has appeared here because we had that little silver fraction with what was hard for many to see as a bent leg, but which perhaps means a third of a perhaps a tritemorion, one bent leg being a third of three (I may be disgracing myself on the language of Greek fractions) or diobol and a third of a drachm?
Anyhow, -skel- as in skeleton.
Pat L.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 11:56:30 pm »
I just use triskelion. Saves trouble.

I wonder: what say the Manx, or the Sicilians, or the Wiccans (some of them, anyway), or the Bretons, or those naughty whip wielding folks in leather, or any of the others who use this symbol as an integral part of their identity?
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 04:43:29 am »
Patricia, when in the presence of 'Nerds' mixing up Star Wars and Star Trek can be very serious!
Andreas Reich

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 05:12:27 am »
When adjectives or descriptive phrases are turned into nouns, their form can easily be misleading.  In English, if you call something "a threelegs" it is a singular object that has three legs.  The legs are plural, the object is not.  I would not be surprised to find this making for odd forms in other langages, too.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 07:40:41 am »
The modern use 'Triskeles' can be seen as a plurale tantum. Here: one object named by its three parts. The Greek origins have lost their grip on the word imo.

Frans

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 08:10:51 am »
The Merriam-Webster dictionary entry for triskelion says it's from the Greek "triskelēs", and gives a reference to the word "isosceles", "from Greek isoskelēs, from is- + skelos leg"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/triskele

Isosceles is an adjective ("isosceles triangle") and thus neither singular nor plural.

Maybe "triskeles" entomology is that it was borrowed from the Greek twice, once by numismatists to describe coins and once by non-numismatists to describe the symbol used on the Isle of Man?

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 09:28:24 am »
The Italian word for triskeles is "triscele", also known as "triquetra" in heraldry. In its Sicilian form it has a Gorgon's head in the middle, in common understanding the symbol points to the island's triangular form with a cape at each tip (Peloro, Pachino, Lilibeo). For the same reason the island is sometimes dubbed "la Trinacria" (no translation needed for those who have a minimal understanding of Greek), a name which is sometimes improperly used for the symbol itself.

Regards, P.  :)
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 02:22:53 pm »
but a triskeles and a triquetra are two different symbols, the former meaning "three legs" (roughly), the latter meaning "three corners" (see image below).

i have always associated the triskeles more with the swastika, that is a rotating or cyclical symbol, possibly representing the seasons or the elements.
the triquetra is more of a unity symbol, and has even been used to symbolise the Trinity.

~ Peter

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »
A triskelion.

(This coin photo has been modified in Photoshop.)
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 07:01:49 pm »
In his later years Edward Steichen, the photographer, had a rescued dog that had lost one hind leg, and he named it Tripod (naturally).
I wish I'd thought of isosceles as the perfect analog to triskeles.
Pat

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 07:10:41 am »
A triskelion.

(This coin photo has been modified in Photoshop.)

Very funny!

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 04:27:08 pm »
Now I get it, and can stop staring at moonmoth's coin!  "Lion," for God's sake. :-[  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 05:58:59 pm »
Confession: it took me that long to get it, too.  I couldn't disassociate the Greek diminutive ending (or the prefix, tri-, for that matter) so as to see "lion", especially since the -s- and the -l- both belong to the stem, 'skel-'.
I got the visual joke of removing one leg in Photoshop, but until you guys "got it" it was just a three-legged tetrapod / quadruped  to me!  So I just remembered Steichen's dog, tri-pod, and remembered how convenient it is to turn things neuter by using an -ion diminutive in Greek as with -chen in German!
We all have our own problems.
Pat L.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 01:44:30 am »
Well, sorry about that, but I had an image of a three-leg-lion and I wanted to share it .. anyway, ions are difficult to draw.

From the same mind that contains this scalene triangle.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 02:16:55 am »
it must be lots of fun in your brain man.

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity