Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crusaders? Normans in Sicily?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Jan

• Consul
Crusaders? Normans in Sicily?
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:06:44 pm »
I appreciate any help with this coin. As indicated by the subject I had a few initial ideas, but have not found a match so far.

Can anyone translate the reverse?

The diameter is 29 mm.

Jan

Manzikert

Re: Crusaders? Normans in Sicily?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:29:37 pm »
Hi

No, the other side :) : Seljuks of Rum, I think it is Sulayman II (592-600 AH/ 1196-1204 AD), and the denomination will be a fals.

Reverse inscription will give the name and titles of the issuer.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Jan

• Consul
Re: Crusaders? Normans in Sicily?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:53:35 am »
Thank you very much Alan! I was fooled by the halo that I thought suggested that the horseman was a riding saint or perhaps a christian king. Quite interesting coins, I will try to learn a bit more about them.

Got to be Sulayman II, I found a few coins with the same inscription that had been attributed to him. It would be interesting to know what the inscription says.

Best wishes
Jan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity