Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Who's this figure?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Who's this figure?
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:21:12 am »
I bought this just because I liked the rather dynamic figure on the obverse (if that is the obverse), a frontal view of someone kneeling and presenting an object.  But who is the figure, and what is the object?  I know almost nothing about these coins.

This was sold as "Ayyubid al-Ashraf Musa of the Jazira! Michiner, Islam, 866+".   I see from Wikipedia that Al-Ashraf Musa was a son of Al-Adil, who was one of Saladin's brothers.  There's a lot of history here ...  (I also have one of Al-Adil's coins, also picked up just because I liked its looks.)

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
Re: Who's this figure?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:01:43 am »
A similar coin in the De Wit collection is just described as "Figure facing holding globe". Besides the standard reference (Oriental Coins and their Values by Mitchiner) the catalog mentions two other books: The coinage of the Ayyubids by Paul Balog (London, 1980) and "Edhem" which is probably I. Ghalib Edhem, Catalogue des Monnaies Turcomanes (Musee Imperial Ottoman I) available as a reprint by Forni, Bologna. Maybe more information is available there.

Regards, P.  :)
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:24:57 pm »
Thank you.

I must have deleted the size and weight by mistake when changing the second para. Sorry .. it's 29x31mm, 12.65g.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »
Hi Bill

Balog describes the figure as 'The turbanned prince, seated facing, right leg drawn up, orb in right hand, with left hand on hip'.

He gives several varieties (B.848, Sinjar 615 H; B.849-B.852, Mayafariqin 612 H), but I'm afraid I can't read enough of the marginal legends to decide mint or date.

I'm afraid I don't have access to Edhem.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »
Thanks, Alan, that's very helpful.

Bill

All coins are guaranteed for eternity