Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Commodus for ID?  (Read 409 times)

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
Commodus for ID?
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:17:39 am »
Barbarian fake or a true coin ??? Need ID!
Sorry for the bad image... :-[

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Commodus for ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:47:45 am »
I suppose barbarous is an option but my first inclination here is a heavily tooled coin with some errors in what was there originally.  The portrait style and obverse legends don't match what I would expect.  The reverse is appropriate with a M COMM legend but this looks like an L AVREL COMM.   I'm not even certain that the coin started as an Apollo.  The COS VI going across the field is odd in that the S is oversize as if it was the S of SC left over from the original but the CO added in different hand. 

I didn't have a lot of luck finding matches in the online record but offer a coin I got in 1992 that is closer to what I would expect from the type.  I would be interested if anyone sees anything about mine that makes it suspicious.  I'm no Commodus expert but see no likelihood that the OP coin is official and original.  I hope the experts will have a comment.

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
Re: Commodus for ID?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 09:01:04 am »
Thank's alot for such interesting answer ::)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity