Emanuele Giulianelli:

--- Quote from: Emanuele G on January 05, 2010, 03:27:17 am ---Dear Curtis,
yes i've got my coin in hands.
The die axis is 0 (or 12), medallic axis rotation, upright

So what can we say?

--- End quote ---

Emanuele Giulianelli:
dear curtisclay,

tacrolimus sent me the picture  of Strack 701 from the catalogue of Hadrian coin. On this picture the bust is right, not left. He told me he doesn't understand German language, do you know if on the catalogue does it mention bust right? Where does it tells about an exemplar on Gnecchi Collection in Rome?
My axis is upright, now what can we say? It's a rare sestertius? A variant of strack 701? An unpublished?

thanks
Emanuele

Emanuele Giulianelli:
no solutions?

curtislclay:
1. Strack numbers, like RIC numbers in many of the earlier volumes, are determined by the combination of (a) rev. type and legend and (b) obv. legend.

All BUST VARIETIES have the same catalogue number, and are distinguished by different Greek-letter bust codes in the list of specimens in the catalogue.

So Strack 701 includes both the illustrated specimen (bust code alpha) and Emanuele's coin, bust code 1/zeta, quoted from a specimen in Rome. Bust zeta = laureate, draped right; 1/zeta = laureate, draped left.

2. Most Hadrianic coins have the inverted die axis, but some issues have a mixture of inverted and upright axes, which should be noted for its probable chronological significance. Strack was the first numismatist to point out this criterion. In his catalogue, he indicated upright axes by printing the relevant specimens in red rather than black ink.

The rev. type in question is one of those that occur with both inverted and upright axes. Both Emanuele's coin and the Rome specimen quoted by Strack have the upright axis.

Emanuele Giulianelli:
Dear Curtis and dear friends,

if i understand well, it's a very rare coin, isn't it? if we know only one specimen in Gnecchi collection in Rome, mine is the second one known?

Another question, i live in Rome do you know if my coin is showed at Gnecchi Collection at Palazzo Massimo? If it's so, i want to go and see it!

thanks
Emanuele

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version