Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I? - Need help with RIC and rarity!  (Read 1052 times)

M.G.M

Constantine I? - Need help with RIC and rarity!
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:45:02 am »

Hi All

I belive this to be Constantine I? However can't find a match on wildwinds RIC and rarity would be appricated. I know that AU coins are normally rare but compared to other AU coins from Constantine I?

Thanks

/M.G.M

Offline Will J

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
Re: Constantine I? - Need help with RIC and rarity!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:17:34 am »
It is indeed Constantine I
Reverse: FELIX PROCESSVS COS IIII AVG N
RIC VII-26 Ticinum
Unfortunately RIC dosen't list rarity.

M.G.M

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:44:46 am »

Hi and thanks a lot for the quick answer!

BR

M.G.M

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:02:51 am »
Many of Constantine's solidi rarely come up for sale, so it's hard too see enough examples to get a meaningful idea of comparative rarity. It's certainly not a common type that ones sees often.

The most recent one I've noted was in NAC 24 (#275) from 12-2002.

Ben

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:07:12 am »
Cohen valued this solidus with 150 francs, while the solidi of Constantine I. are in the range 50-800 francs. Value is not the same as rarity, but maybe it gives a hint.

http://www.virtualcohen.com/constantine-the-great-21

Stefan

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:46:32 am »
Bruun lists nine specimens of this solidus, without guaranteeing that the four recorded from sale catalogues are certainly all different specimens.

That would seem to make it one of the commoner solidi of Constantine I, though still very rare, and historically interesting for its specific reference to Constantine's assumption of his fourth consulship.
Curtis Clay

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 09:47:18 am »
Cohen valued this solidus with 150 francs, while the solidi of Constantine I. are in the range 50-800 francs.

Per his alphabetical organization, I don't think Cohen was paying too much attention to mints or other details.

I'd guess that Cohen's price may reflect the overall rarity of the FELIX PROCESSVS type if one ignores mints (it was also issued from Trier, Aquileia, Sirmium and Antioch) and COS numbers (it's known for COS IIII, IIIII, VI), not that it's common, as a few types are, even if one looks at this overall picture.

Ben

M.G.M

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:14:17 am »

Thanks alot for all your feedback!

BR

/M.G.M

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 12:17:48 pm »
Per his alphabetical organization, I don't think Cohen was paying too much attention to mints or other details.

Hi Ben,
your objection is justified, but in this case he payed attention. Cohen 152 is this exact coin with the same legends, bust, devices and described with SMT in exergue. It seems that Cohen wasn't aware that this coin was minted in Trier, too.

Stefan

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 01:02:07 pm »
Hi Stefan,
Agreed - he differentiated to the extent of recording what was on the coins, but evidently his focus was on legends rather than mints/etc.

Note how he has four listings for FELIX PROCESSVS types, and prices than all at 150 FF regardless of mint or bust type (incl. a consular bust for Ticinum absent from RIC).

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity