Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carthage in Sicily or where?  (Read 895 times)

Offline 425galba

• Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
Carthage in Sicily or where?
« on: December 24, 2009, 09:03:56 pm »
Attached is a 1/2 shekel coin which is listed in Mazard #78,  Mueller II 38,45, Weber 8539 pl 315, SG 6602  for kings of Numidia, Hiempsal II from around 106-60 BC. These were old attributions and seem to be outdated. Recent examples for sale now indicate it as Carthage in Sicily, Second Punic War, about 213-211 BC occupation Walker, Burnett Enna 140-1, SNR 62(1983) 148-52, SNG Copenhagen 380. They recent listings question Akragas as the city. They also list the obverse head as Triptolemos while others reference Hiempsal II. Anyone have an idea when this coin was really struck and who it is? The style and Punic letters point to influence from Carthage. Was it struck in Sicily or Carthage? I have asked one dealer for help and he indicated it is open for debate. Can anyone point me to a recent article on the study of these coins?

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Carthage in Sicily or where?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:48:08 pm »
yes, i've also seen it attributed to Juba in Numidia.

however i'm going with the Akragas attribution, at least that's what i have my quarter-shekel listed as. and from the corn wreath i also consider this to be Triptolemus rather than a king, Hiempsal or Juba.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1963&pos=0

~ Peter

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Carthage in Sicily or where?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 02:23:05 pm »
Very beautiful!  :)

Antvwala

All coins are guaranteed for eternity