Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: IMPCVALLICINLICENIUSPFAVG Radiate Bearded.  (Read 492 times)

Offline JamesW

• Praetorian
IMPCVALLICINLICENIUSPFAVG Radiate Bearded.
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:26:55 pm »
I think it is silver. When i was cleaning it, there was no patina. It went straight to a pinkish color metal, so i decided to strip it down chemically and i used a nylon brush to clean it up. Then the next day the coin was Grey/Pink.  I dont think its Licenius because he has this beard and is radiate. It weighs 3.3 grams. I cannot find my ruler right now. It is about the size of a U.S. dime for comparison. Could someone please help me attribute this coin. Thank You.

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
Re: IMPCVALLICINLICENIUSPFAVG Radiate Bearded.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »
The coin is of Licinius I  radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right ;IOVI CONS-ERVATORI  Jupiter standing facing, holding Victory on globe & eagle tipped staff, eagle at foot left with a wreath in its beak, captive seated to right with head left. I cant read the mint .Probably Hearclea  similar to this coin https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2826&pos=5  Not silver, was silvered Follis.
Mike

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:45:34 pm »
It is Licinius I
IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS PF AVG  . RDC bust right
REV :  IOVI CONS-ERVATORI

I can't make out the exergue,   and I'm pretty sure  it was not silver

Offline JamesW

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:09:47 pm »
I cleaned it up with a little acid bath and i did not use a metal brush to scrub it. When i hold the coin at an angle under 10x mag i fail to see were it can be silvered and not silver. The coin is pretty much solid and not flakey were it is pink, the metal just flows to a different color undisturbed by the harsh cleaning i had given it. Even inside the crack it is grey but i suppose that could mean the coin was already broken before silvered?  The edges are a leached out mess and all of that stuff is grey even in the deep spots of leaching.  I suppose that if it is for sure silverd and not silver its just in great enough shape. But I feel pretty strong about it mabey being a Billon metal?   They didnt make any silver of these?

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:16:09 pm »
No Silver ones :( Late  Roman coins do contain some silver content but a very small percentage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity