Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help with this Septimius Severus AE17  (Read 566 times)

David S4

help with this Septimius Severus AE17
« on: December 12, 2009, 05:20:57 pm »
Hello All Iam having trouble finding a published example of this little coin - Wildwinds doesn't have an example - it looks close to Moushmov 1008 but the observe ledgend is slightly off - 1008's  is AV KAI - CEVHPO, my coin is AV KAI CE - CEVHPO. Any help placing it would be helpful. The reverse legends are slightly different too 1008's is  NIKO :Greek_Pi:O :Greek_Lambda:IT  :Greek_Pi:POCICT while mine is NIKO :Greek_Pi:O :Greek_Lambda:I  :Greek_Pi:POCICT
Thank You,
David Serrano

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: help with this Septimius Severus AE17
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:25:35 pm »
Mushmov does not  bother with obverse legends, and really is not suitable for attribution purposes.  Somebody will come along here soon with a more suitable approach.  Regards, George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

David S4

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:28:05 pm »
I only discovered the M # from wildwinds and the do bother with observe and reverse legends - oh and if you c lick on the image you get a better idea of the ledgends
Thanks,
David S4

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 05:42:19 pm »
Hi David!

Your coin is one of the small coins of Septimius Severus from Nikopolis ad Istrum, a small nice one.
Rv. Homonoia, turreted, with cornucopiae and patera.
Ref. a) AMNG I/1, 1397
       b) Varbanov (engl.) 2304

AMNG is online. Please take a look at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=AMNG

Best regards
Jochen

David S4

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »
Thanks a bounle any idea of its relative scaricty?

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:35:18 pm »
Yes! Pick, author of AMNG I, knew 5 ex., from Bukarest, München (2 ex.), Paris, and from Mionnet. That's very much for Pick. Varbanov (engl.) rates its rarity as R2 of 10. That means he knows from 1000-1500 ex. (p. 30). So it is a common coin, but nice nevertheless.

BTW I've made an error. Homonoia is not turreted, but it is a kalathos she wears on her head. And after KAI CE there is a dot, not mentioned by Pick!

I have added an ex. from my collection.

Best regards

David S4

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:40:54 pm »
Once Again Thanks Alot
David S4

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:34:26 pm »
And to underscore the 'nice but not rare', I have four of them, and I attach here the nicest one.
• 21 11 09 AE 16 / 18  2.78g  axis 6:30h  Nicopolis ad IstrumSeptimius Severus, laueate, head to r.  AV KAI SE *    SEVÊROS
Rev., Homonoia in kalathos and chiton, with himation around her hips and over her left shoulder, holding conrucopiae in her left and proffering patera in her r. hand.  NIKOPOL      PROS IST.
On the evidence of the portrait, the letter forms, and the care taken with the Homonoia, some time between late Auspex and early Tertullus (if I may be so bold).
Pat L.
CLICK

All coins are guaranteed for eternity