Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds: News etc.  (Read 84363 times)

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Re: Wildwinds: News etc.
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 05:20:42 pm »
Hi Dane,

The WW Vespasian page has a placeholder for RIC 290: http://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/vespasian/RIC_0290.jpg

In my gallery, I have an example that you are welcome to add to wildwinds: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-93559

A better version of the picture is also attached.  

Thanks for all you do at wildwinds!

Regards,
Sosius

Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:07 pm »
Beautiful, many thanks. I'll prepare this for wildwinds.
I usually place all "prepared" coins in a large folder on my second external harddisk with subfolders A to Z for imperial/emperor coins, plus folders for "Greek cities", "British Hammered", Byzants" etc. Then about once a month I start at A and go through them until they are all uploaded. So with this being V for Vespasian, it may be a while to get it online.

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »
No worries.  Thanks so much for maintaining WW.  It is a great benefit to collectors and researchers!
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline kkorky

• Legionary
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »
Although we have communicated through a diffrent medium in the past,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to also thank you publicly for your help that you have provided.

+++

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2013, 04:00:10 pm »
I still need to contact you after I finish cropping my Lucius Verus Augusta Traiana Tripod AE21 (I'm learning that skill now for that purpose) to show you, Dane, but I want to enthusiastically second (third?) the "Thank You's!" I've been relying heavily on wildwinds for routine attributions at least once or twice a week for almost 10 years now. I've shared the site with many new ancient collectors who have also become instant wildwinds addicts. My learning curve with Roman coins would have certainly been much flatter without the tremendous resources you've provided!
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 09:18:16 pm »
No rush with your tripod coin, Curtis. I have about 100 coins to ID for a store... No doubt
many of them will also be added to the "all these coins are waiting for upload" folders !

Update 19th April: All the prepared coins in the folders are now online. But I just
downloaded another 30-something coins from the upload folder on the server so these
all need to be checked and added to the "waiting for upload" A to Z folders.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2014, 03:46:44 pm »
2nd July 2014
Unfortunately part of the wildwinds dedicated server in the USA went down today and took with it not only wildwinds but also the server's backup AND the old 2009 temporary area which was under a slightly different name.

It is very likely that I will have to reupload the entire website, which includes about 500,000 files, so please be patient over the next couple of days, as I can only start uploading when the new harddisk
or whatever it is they need to install in the server, is in place. I'll be uploading day and night.

Also if you need to contact me, please use my gmail address, not my wildwinds address, as of course
all the emails in the inboxes on the server have also been wiped squeaky clean.
Dane

UPDATE 3. July 15:30 Swiss time
The new upload has begun, but it will take at least 3 days and then the DNS thingy has
to propograte again. (Happy are they who have bought the DVD - a new version of the
DVD was made at the end of May).
5th July, 20:00
Upload of /ric/ is nearly finished - then come greece/sear/sear5/Celtics/imp/rsc/SE/sg/Moushmov.
RIC is taking absolutely ages, but currently 95% of RIC is done.
The server is a bit slow because Damir is uploading Timeline Originals stuff as well, which is on the same server. I am uploading 24 hours non stop. So please all be patient.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 07:45:11 am »
All the files are now in place as far as I can see.
The only thing which isn't working yet is the upload-to-dock tool, perhaps because
of a new php version. We are looking into it and trying to fix it but I'm not a php
programmer, although theoretically the old files should still work but they don't, i.e.
the password page works, the form page works but the image and txt don't upload.

Thankyou everyone, for your patience. If you spot an error or something, could you
let me know ?
Dane

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2014, 04:01:05 pm »
CORINTHIAN STATERS MOVING TO WILDWINDS

John Hayes, who has put so much work, effort and dedication into his wonderful
corinthianstaters.com website, is giving up the hobby and is moving to England
to be near his family. His coin collection has been consigned to a well-known
auction house.
John has kindly offered his website to wildwinds and it is now in place, though
not yet linked in the Greek regions list. This will be done as soon as I have a moment
(I am still trying to fic the problem with the wildwinds' upload-to-holding-dock tool).

The new address of Corinthian Staters is
www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/corinthstaters/i.html

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2014, 12:00:55 pm »
Hello,

I am having trouble getting to any of the wildwinds pages.  Is the site screwed-up again?  Is it still possible to buy the CD?

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2014, 05:02:09 pm »
Firstly, yes the DVD is still available. You can either follow the link on wildwinds, or buy it from my Helvetica's shop: http://www.catbikes.ch/shop/viewcategory.php?groupid=2

For Wildwinds:
You need to
1) Clear your cache and history in your internet browser of all references to wildwinds.
2) Restart a wildwinds page and click your "Refresh Page" icon. Some people need to do this twice.

The problem is that modern browsers are set to the default of "fetch pages from the cache". Now, if
the pages in the cache store the old DNS then of course they will not be valid any more. So you need to clear your browser(s) of ALL references to wildwinds and Moushmov pages then go and get the new ones i.e. the ones which use the new DNS (which you can't see.)
In future you may wish to set your browser to always fetch the latest version of website pages instead of it getting outdated pages from the cache which can be up to one year old.

I have just tested wildwinds using Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and IE and there is no problem.

Everyone: Please note also that some areas which used old cgi scripts have been rewritten or deleted. i.e. for the "Partial Inscription Search" (which was using a very outdated list from 2006 anyway), you can now use the normal search page (which has "search this site" fields by Google, Bing and Freefind, which work very well on partial legends).
The Upload-to-Dock section has been replaced and is now working again for people with the password to upload their coins.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:55 pm »
Well if you happen to know how to use an indexing Shell script which Dave wrote back in 1982 and still have access to the Basic program which ran it, and also have experience with cgi scripts, you are very welcome to make an up-to-date version of the database and I will upload it and hope that the new server can cope with it, because it certainly couldn't when I re-uploaded everything - in fact none of the old cgi scripts worked, despite correcting them and spending days (with the assistance of two cgi programmers) fiddling about with them.
However - having said that, that database would be out of date again within a week because I am constantly adding new coins (7 coins added tonight, for example, 8 yesterday with about 100 more coins waiting for upload in the dock).
I think the Chrome "search this site" function is great.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2014, 04:37:09 pm »
where can i find an updated copy of your tacitus spreadsheet?
It has been awhile?

Thanks

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2014, 06:50:30 am »
I haven't uploaded the latest version for a while - it will include the one you sent me last week.
Please be patient, I have so much to do at the moment. You can always find the latest versions (when I have uploaded them) on the catbikes.ch website, as my ftp sometimes has difficulties when I try to upload them to the forum server. I think it's just a setting in my ftp client, SSL security or something.

jojo32

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2015, 04:48:28 pm »
I definitely find this tricky. I have been finding that on longer listings it becomes difficult to narrow it down. What I have been doing is ctrl+f and from there you can search a particular detail of your coin. Alot of times it narrows it down quite a bit. Sometimes though if the detail is common, there are tons!

Hi all
Because it takes up so much time to scroll down the enormous (and still growing) list of coins of e.g. Constantine, on wildwinds when you are checking the ID of a coin, I have added a list of clickable mint names along the top.
However, I have my Windows / screen resolution set to a relatively low resolution (it's better for my eyes) so although the size of the mint names are fine for me, it occurred to me that they may be too small for most people. So could I ask some of you to have a look at the page and tell me whether the size of the mint cities lines are too small ? Ok? Please "do not adjust your set", look at the page with your normal settings. I will check back here tomorrow and if the majority of you want the lines a tad larger, I will alter the html accordingly.
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantine/i.html

Is it useful ?
I may add the function to the pages of other emperors
Thanks !
Dane

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2015, 07:34:44 am »
For most common later Roman bronzes, you might find it more useful to first download the appropriate XLS list from my website www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm and then,
when you have narrowed down the possibilities on there, then check whether there is an
example on wildwinds. Sometimes there is a column called "RIC no. on wildwinds" in the xls list
If you have never used my lists before, (you need an old or new version of Excel OR the free OpenOffice Calc program), there is a short "How to Use These Lists" pdf on the page mentioned
above - practise using that and you'll be whizzing through your coins in no time.

Note that additional lists (Caracalla, Sev. Alex etc) are on a password-protected page - requests
for access details by email only but the details are not sent to aol, yahoo, btonline or hotmail
addresses because these mail servers are so often hacked, often without the account holders
noticing it, and the emails scanned by the hackers for passwords etc. Change your pw as often
as you like - it's the servers which are hacked, not individual accounts, that's how they can
get so much information.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2016, 11:11:17 am »
On 1st March 2016, we hit the 72,000 coin mark on wildwinds !
When I took over wildwinds in May 2009, there were 54, 929 coins
including about 2,500 really grotty coins which I have since deleted or
replaced. So the actual number of additions is probably around 20,000
coins since May 2009.

As an example of how Wildwinds has grown:
In May 2009 there were less than 6 coins on the Thyateira, Lydia page - there
are now 301.
Over 50 Greek city pages have been added which were not previously represented
and the number of coin images contributed by you has helped a lot, so thankyou
to everyone.
There are still a lot of grotty coins under the old /sear/ numbers. I am working
through these as time permits and deleting all the old /sear/ entries in that section
as they have been superceded by the new volumes anyway. But as those numbers
(currently 647 coins in the old Sear directory) decrease, others will increase.

And I nearly forgot to add that all these coins are added by hand, the text and
entried written by hand in HTML and the images resized by hand. So I don't use one of
the "vacuum" programs to add coins to an SQL database (I wish...)

Well, that's my own trumpet blown  ;D

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2016, 09:45:48 am »
I can certainly see the improvement. Thanks Dane.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2016, 04:07:16 pm »
I think I can imagine the work you have done. Thanks so much. And I think the whole numismatics community will thank you too!

Jochen

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2016, 04:15:42 pm »
I use this website many time, he is really good, i like when i search an RIC for a coin.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2016, 07:56:17 pm »
Dane - Your Estoit number.... is that from her Monaies series?

Are you going to transition to MER-RIC number?

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2016, 08:39:13 pm »
Some Estiot numbers are given by the sellers so I just use them, others are from
a book I have somewhere but don't ask me to look for it. Some are from some of
her articles.
I'm not sure what the MER-RIC is... ??? But in any case, to transit thousands and
thousands of coins to a new version and new numbers - including changing all the
html pages AND all the references AND all the .jpg and .txt names would not only
be too much work but would cause thousands and thousands of error messages
from google and other bots because the .txt, jpg etc. files that they have indexed
would no longer exist AND would generate further thousands and thousands of 404
error pages. I prefer not to have to deal with dire warnings from
google in my inbox.

What I HAVE done in the past few days is to run through the Trajan vars and
add the numbers from Bernhard Woytek's work and other references. I also made
myself a very simple xls of the vars he lists, for future reference (just basic RIC
number - bust type of the var - Woytek no. and, where available, the Utrecht number).
The books were on loan from the University so I had a limited time to make a list.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2016, 06:59:57 pm »
Dane - Sorry, I was referencing her website

http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/home

Offline Randall K

• Legionary
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2016, 11:27:18 am »
I LOVE wildwinds.  Awesome job on the cite.  Like the addition of the mints.  Looks good to me.  Thanks for all your help.

Offline Aleksandar J

• Praetorian
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2016, 05:57:20 pm »
Separating coins by mints, especially for Constantine and his era is great idea and more than helpful. But must say that I'm using Wildwinds for years now and never had any major problems browsing it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity