Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximinus I, Thrax, sestertius; patina for Eternity of Diva  (Read 1438 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Maximinus I, Thrax, sestertius; patina for Eternity of Diva
« on: December 05, 2009, 07:12:57 pm »
Since this is by far the best forum for posting photos, partly with reference to a comment I just posted in the CoinPhotography list but also because I really like the coin and its photograph, here is last night's photograph of the latest sestertius that I have.  It still is an alloy that looks brass-ish but is surely not what Caley would qualify as orichalcum.  These odd alloys also often have odd patinas and take a strike differently from real ~80% copper, 20% zinc brass (orichalcum or church brass).
This sestertius would never make it into a hard-copy auction catalogue, but neither has it been abused, and I love it as it is.  I must have accessioned this coin, but it had no label in its flip and it isn't in my Portfolio catalogue, so 'no date' for now.
• no date.  Rome, AE sestertius 16.11g  27mm axis 12h
Maximinus Thrax, laureate, draped and cuirassed, from behind.  Undated.  IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG.  Rev., Pax, facing l., holding branch in her r. hand and transverse scepter in her r.  PAX    AVGVSTI and S  C  across.  RIC 58.
Alloy still somewhat brassish.
Pat L.
CLICK

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Maximinus I, Thrax, sestertius; Patina for Eternity of Diva
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 03:37:55 am »
Many of you like lovely patinas, and they are especially lovely when they actually enhance the subject and style.  I finally got a true image of this one.
• 11 05 01 AE sestertiusFaustina I.  DIVA FAVSTINARev., Aeternitas facing, with starry mantle (4 + marks) for the vault of heaven, turning her head to regard orb in her r. hand.  AETER       NITAS and  S  C.  RIC 1106 (Antoninus).
23.40g  32.5mm axis 6h.
Hers are among the last full size, nearly full weight sestertii, so far as I've observed.
Pat L.
CLICK

All coins are guaranteed for eternity