Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with Judean - regular old widow's mite? Janneaus?  (Read 362 times)

coinheadz

Help with Judean - regular old widow's mite? Janneaus?
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:44:49 pm »
Is this what is considered just a regular old widow's mite?

This is one of the few coins I obtained that have visible lettering, can anyone tell me what this is supposed to say?

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
Re: Help with Judean - regular old widow's mite? Janneaus?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »
AE Prutah or Lepton of Alexander Jannaeus. The obverse star may or may not contain the proto-Hebrew legend (YEHONATAN H MALEK). The  reverse is in greek: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝ∆ΡΟΥ (King Alexander), around anchor. This is what is considered a widow's mite.

Regards,
Danny

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Help with Judean - regular old widow's mite? Janneaus?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 02:08:55 pm »
It's one of the cruder (and usually underweight) star and anchor prutot of Jannaeus, often termed 'widows' mites'. I have a quarrel with the term, starting with the fact that 'mite' is an old translation of 'lepton', and these are the wrong denomination!

The interesting thing is that Jannaeus started his reign issuing the typical Hasmonean prutot, with the inscription 'Yehonatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews' in archaic Hebrew lettering, and two cornucopiae and a pomegranate on the reverse. Then he stopped minting those, and struck very large numbers of coins in his sole name as king, with a Greek inscription on the obverse, and Aramaic on the reverse. Then he went back to the original type, with an abbreviated form of his name.

He ruled as a king on the Greek model, and doesn't appear to have taken his High Priestly duties too seriously. That's probably linked with the way he started striking as King, rather than as High Priest. He went too far, fought a civil war with the Pharisees, and eventually negotiated a peace. Returning to the traditional coin type looks like one of the compromises associated with that.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity