Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial Geta w/horse and rider rev id help please  (Read 523 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Provincial Geta w/horse and rider rev id help please
« on: November 20, 2009, 09:30:37 pm »
Evening all. It has been a while since I have had a provincial to post! I missed the frustration! lol Anyway...this guy is my latest source of frustration.

The obverse features a youthful right facing bust of Geta with all I can read of the legend being   :Greek_Gamma:  :Greek_epsilon: T... starting at the 1 oclock (it looks like maybe KAI starting around the 10 oclock as well...but I  can not be sure).

The rev features a right facing horse and rider with the rider possibly holding a trophy (or umbrella? ;) )?

Any help will be great!

Chris

19mm 2.64g

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Provincial Geta w/horse and rider rev id help please
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:43:12 am »
Well...I guess I am not alone! I thought this one to be easier than it has proved...*bump* (the only one, I promise)

Chris

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 12:31:36 pm »

The anomalous legend KAI GETAS suggests either Nikopolis ad Istrum or else Serdica, Thrace; the next task is to rummage for small-module Getas-with-horseman from that pair of mints.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:19:06 pm »

Hristova-Jekov, Serdica, shows a Geta obverse much like yours (12.22.48) and a rare (R8) Caracalla reverse which is also much like yours (12.18.34), both coins AE19; seems that you may indeed have a rare one!
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:15:13 pm »
Sorry that I had not replied, it has been a busy day (the weather here has been unseasonably nice...therefore my wife set me to work in the yard! gahhh...).

Thanks for your search. That is a better start than had:) If I ever find a certain match I will let you know.

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity