Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Local Coins in Greece 1880-1910 (Negroponte)  (Read 2188 times)

Elefinoras

Local Coins in Greece 1880-1910 (Negroponte)
« on: November 19, 2009, 07:15:11 pm »
At the time between 1880 and 1910, Ottoman Empire had problems to the economy. A very good example is the lack of change (coins of small values) which was on display at this particular period.

Greek societies (villages and very small villages) living inside the Ottoman Empire in order to overcome this economical crisis and for their every day needs decided to mint local coins. They took old Ottoman coins (10 para or 20 para etc) which they were not any longer in use and they were countermarked them.

Usually the countermark was the symbol of the local Christian church; sometimes it was also the symbol of the local authority. However, at the end, in all Greek societies, the responsibility for the minting passed exclusively to the local churches.

I know for sure that coins of this type were countermarked in societies of East Macedonia (I mean the Greek Macedonia and not any other Slavic region want to be named as Macedonian ;)) and in the islands of Thasos, Chios and others.

What I would like to ask, is if anyone here knows about local coins of this type, which were minted in the island of Evoia or Euboea (Negroponte in Venetians)? I mean of course before 1830. At 1830 the island of Evoia was finally won its freedom over the Turks and it was united with the rest of Greek land which was already free. However, if any one knows anything about Local coins in Evoia, even after it was free, please feel free to tell us about it.

Thank You.

Here is an example of a 20 para coin marked in Thasos in 1882-1883:

[link photo removed by admin - upload photos to the discussion board]

The Greek letters at the mark ( :Greek_Kappa::Greek_epsilon: –  :Greek_Theta_2::Greek_Beta:) mean ( :Greek_Kappa:) :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Mu: :Greek_Eta: :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_Eta: ( :Greek_Theta_2:) :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_omega_small: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon: ( :Greek_epsilon:) :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Eta: :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Alpha: ( :Greek_Beta:) :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Gamma:  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_omega_small: :GreeK_Sigma:

In English: well I don’t think that it can be translated ???. Is something like, Church Vourgaros dedicated to the mother of the Christ. Something like that... ::)

Elefinoras

Re: Local Coins in Greece 1880-1910 (Negroponte)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:36:17 pm »
No one knows ?  :'(

All coins are guaranteed for eternity