Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Emperors' nicknames?  (Read 15251 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Roman Emperors' nicknames?
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 04:33:26 pm »
A fascinating list.  But this is only the bare bones. There must be a story behind most of those nicknames.

For example, "~ the Unready": Ethelred II of England."  This is the modern version of the name, which was more like Aethelred Unraed.  Literally, Aethelred meant something like "Noble advice," so as a name, might have meant "Well-Advised." "Unraed" meant "No advice" (think of the archaic word "rede" meaning advice or counsel) and could be read as "Ill-Advised." So it was a sound-alike nickname meaning the opposite of his actual name, much like Euergetes being nickamed Kakergetes.  Some things don't change.

This sparseness of information is a fault with my list too.  It's only a start. Ideally I should add an explanation and a link to an appropriate coin, if I collected those coins.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Re: Roman Emperors' nicknames?
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 05:42:43 am »
Ariobarzanes I of Cappodocia was known as Philoromaios, the Roman lover. Cant think why ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity