Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Makedonian tetradrachm, roman rule, MAKEDONON PROTHS  (Read 925 times)

Daniel H2

Makedonian tetradrachm, roman rule, MAKEDONON PROTHS
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:17:36 pm »
Greetings to you!

I would like to get some identification help for my tetradrachm.

The seller said it is from Makedonia, from the beginnig of the roman rule of the country, and it was issued in the 'First Makedonian region' between 158-149 BC. Thats all what the numismatist knows about the coin, because he is a Middle Ages expert, so it would be great if you could provide me any further data (mint, monogram, simbols...). It's weight is 16,8 g, maximum diameter is 32mm. And could you please give me some info on the value/price of this coin?

Thanks in advence,

Daniel

Daniel H2

Re: Makedonian tetradrachm, roman rule, MAKEDONON PROTHS
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:57:20 pm »
I don't know if it is important or not: I made the photos with my mobile phone, flash was turned on, and I edited it a bit with picasa3 (the tones, colours) for better identificaiton.

THERE ISN'T THIS COPPER SHINE ON THE COIN!!! It is because the flash of my cam and the picasa tone altering option for better view!

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 04:03:19 pm »
Greetings to you!

I would like to get some identification help for my tetradrachm.

The seller said it is from Makedonia, from the beginnig of the roman rule of the country, and it was issued in the 'First Makedonian region' between 158-149 BC. Thats all what the numismatist knows about the coin, because he is a Middle Ages expert, so it would be great if you could provide me any further data (mint, monogram, simbols...). It's weight is 16,8 g, maximum diameter is 32mm. And could you please give me some info on the value/price of this coin?

Thanks in advence,

Daniel

without opinion on whether it is genuine, this very common macedonian tetradrachm type was issued not long after the romans took over macedonia after the defeat of the last greek macedonian ruler, perseus, in about 168BC.  once they'd absorbed all of italy and sicily some years earlier, the macedonian kingdom was the first big greek empire the romans conquered.  these coins have a macedonian style (the club within oak-leaf wreath and the macedonian shield on the obverse with a portrait in the center) seen on some greek macedonian empire coins of earlier times but they're issued under roman authority in the local style.  you should be able to find lots of examples in searches around ancient coin web sites.  interesting and affordable coins with a nice style.  great collection starter.

PtolemAE

Daniel H2

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 04:53:05 pm »
Thank you for the details and the kind words!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity