Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Inquiry concerning a Tertullus Septimius  (Read 1744 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Inquiry concerning a Tertullus Septimius
« on: November 07, 2009, 08:53:20 pm »
http://picasaweb.google.com/slokind/TERTULLUSSTUDYGROUP#5398995931187582290  (no. 7 of 51)

This coin's brother, with a draped bust from behind for Septimius and with a beardless emperor on the reverse (and slight differences in the legend) just closed on line.  The emperor on the second coin may be Caracalla.  I bid on it, and lost, but really only wish to know where it is, in case I may know its owner and can ask permission to at least mention it (or illustrate it, if the owner wishes) in the Tertullus web page.
Is one of us the proud owner?
CLICK
Pat L.
P.S. Outbid by one euro.  You can download, or I'll send you in file larger than 1000 pppi, the image of mine.
The coin just sold, according to Varbanov's listing, no. 2755, is the one known to Pick, no. 1281 (draped bust).
Mine is, so far as I'm aware, not yet listed, though it is known to HrJ from my album.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Inquiry concerning a Tertullus Septimius
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:01:59 pm »
Hi Pat!

I think it was me who has outbid you or it was you who have tried to outbid me.  ;)
I have had the same suggestion as you that your coin shows the bearded Severus whereas my coin shows a younger emperor, probably Caracalla. Perhaps there is a third type with Geta? In the moment I'm in Cologne and have no access to my harddisk. I will post the coin tomorrow in the evening.

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 04:03:29 pm »
Dear Jochen,  I hoped it was you!  The coin is in good hands.
Tertullus did not issue any signed coins for Geta, except in the "Evtychos set", as I call it for convenience, where the two boys confront each other; Geta, unlike Caracalla, has no 26-28mm obverse die of his own, not even linked into the Evtychos set.  Even Domna has only one obv. die of this size.  Besides, only an Augustus would have the military armor and hold a Nike (a Caesar would look more like a Rome Princeps Iuventutis).  Pick knew only your die pair and that only 'im Handel'.
I shall try to understand the signed coins better before trying to allign the small coins to them.
Pat L.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:31:45 am »
Here is a pic of the coin. I have attributed it as follows:
a) So not in AMNG:
    obv. AMNG I/1, 1277 var. (has only P at the end of the legend, whereas this coin seems to have a ligate PE!)
    rev. AMNG I/1, 1281
b) Varbanov (engl.) cf.2755 (cites AMNG 1281)

AMNG 1281 has the obv. legend AV KL C - CEVHROC P, this coin in contrast AV KL CEPT. I think the ligate PE is interesting too. I have never seen it before.

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:10:23 pm »
Thank you!
My 50th of 51 with seated Zeus is the same obverse die.  Among other details, despite the heavy Balkan patina on mine, the terminal PE (using underlining for ligature), is as you noted important.  That obverse legend is not in AMNG for a seated Zeus, nor do I find it in Pick's list, running through the draped busts.  The patina on mine really is turquoise-colored.
Pat L.
CLICK
P.S. My reason for not posting in the album my old acquisition File Info is that (a) it all needs checking and (b) such being so I don't want anyone to paste it anywhere.  For example, my note about the ill-preserved 49th of 51 (which is 03 04 03) is NOT true of the obverse.
• 07-12 02 AE 26  Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Issued by Tertullus.  Septimius Severus, laureate, draped bust (not head) to r.  AV KA or L[---]    SEVEROS PE (ligate)..  Rev. Zeus std l., with patera and scepter.  VPA OOV[I TERTVLLO]V .   NIKOPOLI and in exergue PROSIS .  Though the punctuation points is not indicated, this is Pick AMNG I, 1, p. 358, no. 1271, pretty surely.  Varbanov does not help in identifying the obverse.   Obv. = 03 04 03 AE28

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 05:13:37 pm »
Oh, what a patina!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity