Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius antoninianus, please help.  (Read 810 times)

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
Carausius antoninianus, please help.
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »
Hi all,
20 mm 2.9 gr.
Obs: [IMP]CARAVSIVS PF AV[G]
Rev: C [               ]V L I [   ]

Thanks in advance.
Saludos
Mario

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Carausius antoninianus, please help.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:26:20 am »
Hi,

I am familiar with this reverse. It is unlisted in RIC and appears to be a little irregular or sketchy. The revese, I think, reads COSVL III and looks as if the proper reading, were there not the orthographic error, should be CONSVL III.

There are at least three or four examples of this coin from this reverse die known to me, the most recent being offered for sale being from the Vogelaar collection by CNG (that specimen illustrated below), sale 204, lot 484. Their reading/reconstruction of the reverse (COS VIII) is wrong when you look at other specimens from this die. Two other specimens of this coin reverse are illustrated in the plates to Hugh Williams' book on Carausius that is published as a BAR monograph.

Regarding Carausius' consulships he is obviously not listed amongst the normal Roman consuls although he may have been a suffect consul before his revolt. That may explain one of his claimed consulships but not three (or four as he lists on other coins).

I, unfortunately, do not have an example but would be interested in acquiring one should one become available.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:05:38 am »
Thank you Mauseus, very interesting the information that you give me.   
The coin is not mine, it was put for its identification in a Spanish forum (Imperio Numismatico), where I also participate.
In all ways I inform your interest to their owner. 
I reiterate you my thanks. 
Saludos

Mario

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:41:25 pm »
Hi,

Not Spes (though could be easily confused with the low flowing drapery), but the emperor and his toga.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity