Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BEATA TRANQVILLITAS Constantine II - bust type??  (Read 468 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
BEATA TRANQVILLITAS Constantine II - bust type??
« on: November 01, 2009, 03:31:00 pm »
Following through Dane's spreadsheets, this one is either RIC VII Lyons 148 or a bust variety of 149.  I am not good at these bust types.  I think this might be laureate, draped and cuirassed, seen from behind.  Or is it just draped, and seen from the side??

Thanks for any comments ...

Bronze follis of Constantine II. Lugdunum (Lyons) Mint, 321 CE. 20mm, 3.47g.
Obv: CONSTANTINVS IVN N C. Laureate, draped (and cuirassed?) bust right(, seen from behind?)
Rev: BEATA TRANQUVILLITAS. Altar with the words VO/TIS/XX, surmounted by a quartered globe; three stars above.
Field marks: C in left field, R in right.
Ex: PLG.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Will J

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
Re: BEATA TRANQVILLITAS Constantine II - bust type??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:57:16 pm »
According to RIC it would be 148 bust facing right, 149 is bust facing left.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:08:30 am »
Yes, that is true.   Helvetica's spreadsheets show a variety of 149 with a right-facing bust. Perhaps it would be better listed as a variety of 148.

I would still be grateful for an opinion on whether the bust on my coin is draped and cuirassed, and seen from behind.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 03:26:15 am »
"Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from rear" and RIC 148 as my example in the awful scan below. Despite RIC rating it as R5 it would appear to be one of the more common coins from this series, with Bastien citing 45 examples (Bastien 105).

Regards,
Martin

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 03:38:45 am »
Thanks, Martin.  I should have known that a Lugdunum fan would have the answer.

Bill

All coins are guaranteed for eternity