Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Qing cash  (Read 6448 times)

asmodeus

Qing cash
« on: October 30, 2009, 11:15:04 am »
Can anyone help me with this coin ?

Regards  A.

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Qing cash
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:35:11 pm »
I'm sorry to say you that this coin is a fantasy coin, obverse is Ming's dynasty obverse (Emperor Si Zong, reign Chong Zhen 1628-1644) and the reverse is Qing's dynasty reverse of 18th-20th century (1723-1911) so about 100years between minting of obverse and reverse...

the styme of reverse is also realy bad, it's a "souvenir for tourist" coin.

asmodeus

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 02:06:14 pm »
Thank you leseullunique
This is a strange coin, the wearing looks so authentic, it small and who would go through all the trouble making a false coin, not looking like a real one ? I am still no certain about this coin, there is something....., but it must be a fantasy coin.
I just boght a collection of primitive currency, with some chinese and African stuff.
Is this the forum for these things, the African I mean ?
Please let me know, fellow collectors.

Regards  A.

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:51:59 pm »
Yes you can put those items on this forum.

Chinese people are the best to make fake coins, look on picture here are 3 Huo Bu spades of Wang Mang

the coin on left is a genuine coins, the 2 others are 2 fake,

I bought the middle coins 15years ago like a genuine, my mother putted it on a string to make a necklace, after a few years, the patina is leaving the coin and show us brass. Like brass wasn't used before 13th (or 16th I have a slight doubt between these 2 dates) century in China, this is clearly a fake.

The coin on the right is a recent fake coin an friend (and coin expert) in China identify this coins like a fake but I can't say why.
the best example I can give you is a coin I bought 2weeks ago near a member of their Oriental Numismatic Society, when I posted this coin on zeno, a few doubts have been mentioned by 2 collectors because of the high quality, I asked to my friend in China and he gave me this answer:

"This kind of coin is the most difficult to distinguish genuine or fake.
You must understand the style of the coin very much, you can buy.
If I don't see in hand, I am not sure. "

The coin is now on the way to China and I'm hoping.

Actually, 90% of the coins on the internet market are fake coins and about 40% of other markets. Personally, I only buy near 6 sellers (1 in Netherlands, 1 in China, 2 in USA, 1 in Singapore and 1 in Hong Kong), I know a few others sellers have genuine coins but when I pay $1000 for a coin, my confidence in the seller must be biggest than all what is existing on this planet (and after such purchase, I can't buy anything near other seller^^).

Offline BC_Eric

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:39:24 pm »
Hi Leseullunique,

Interesting. What do you think of this spade?

Thanks
Eric

asmodeus

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:39:40 pm »
Here is some from the collection.

Regards  A.

asmodeus

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:44:53 pm »
One more

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 04:08:18 pm »
Dear BC_Eric, your spade is a spade of 1.000 cast under Wang Mang during this 3rd reform (10-14 AD), I think this is a good spade, I have 2 in my own collection and I don't see anything wrong on yours.

Dear Asmodeus, the 3 knives you showed are from Yan Kingdom, it's the specialization of my collection, I have about 100 such knives (called Yi Dao from Yan and previously Ming knives). With clearest pictures, I will give you the reading

for the sycee tael, I'm needing picture of reverse to be sure but I think it's a good sycee, probably a small of 30g for a value of $150-250

The bullet is from Thailand and I'm unable to give you any information about the genuine.

asmodeus

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 04:12:53 pm »

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »
For me this sycee tael is genuine.

Offline BC_Eric

• Consul