Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Qing cash  (Read 6444 times)

asmodeus

Qing cash
« on: October 30, 2009, 11:15:04 am »
Can anyone help me with this coin ?

Regards  A.

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Qing cash
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:35:11 pm »
I'm sorry to say you that this coin is a fantasy coin, obverse is Ming's dynasty obverse (Emperor Si Zong, reign Chong Zhen 1628-1644) and the reverse is Qing's dynasty reverse of 18th-20th century (1723-1911) so about 100years between minting of obverse and reverse...

the styme of reverse is also realy bad, it's a "souvenir for tourist" coin.

asmodeus

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 02:06:14 pm »
Thank you leseullunique
This is a strange coin, the wearing looks so authentic, it small and who would go through all the trouble making a false coin, not looking like a real one ? I am still no certain about this coin, there is something....., but it must be a fantasy coin.
I just boght a collection of primitive currency, with some chinese and African stuff.
Is this the forum for these things, the African I mean ?
Please let me know, fellow collectors.

Regards  A.

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:51:59 pm »
Yes you can put those items on this forum.

Chinese people are the best to make fake coins, look on picture here are 3 Huo Bu spades of Wang Mang

the coin on left is a genuine coins, the 2 others are 2 fake,

I bought the middle coins 15years ago like a genuine, my mother putted it on a string to make a necklace, after a few years, the patina is leaving the coin and show us brass. Like brass wasn't used before 13th (or 16th I have a slight doubt between these 2 dates) century in China, this is clearly a fake.

The coin on the right is a recent fake coin an friend (and coin expert) in China identify this coins like a fake but I can't say why.
the best example I can give you is a coin I bought 2weeks ago near a member of their Oriental Numismatic Society, when I posted this coin on zeno, a few doubts have been mentioned by 2 collectors because of the high quality, I asked to my friend in China and he gave me this answer:

"This kind of coin is the most difficult to distinguish genuine or fake.
You must understand the style of the coin very much, you can buy.
If I don't see in hand, I am not sure. "

The coin is now on the way to China and I'm hoping.

Actually, 90% of the coins on the internet market are fake coins and about 40% of other markets. Personally, I only buy near 6 sellers (1 in Netherlands, 1 in China, 2 in USA, 1 in Singapore and 1 in Hong Kong), I know a few others sellers have genuine coins but when I pay $1000 for a coin, my confidence in the seller must be biggest than all what is existing on this planet (and after such purchase, I can't buy anything near other seller^^).

Offline BC_Eric

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:39:24 pm »
Hi Leseullunique,

Interesting. What do you think of this spade?

Thanks
Eric

asmodeus

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:39:40 pm »
Here is some from the collection.

Regards  A.

asmodeus

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:44:53 pm »
One more

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 04:08:18 pm »
Dear BC_Eric, your spade is a spade of 1.000 cast under Wang Mang during this 3rd reform (10-14 AD), I think this is a good spade, I have 2 in my own collection and I don't see anything wrong on yours.

Dear Asmodeus, the 3 knives you showed are from Yan Kingdom, it's the specialization of my collection, I have about 100 such knives (called Yi Dao from Yan and previously Ming knives). With clearest pictures, I will give you the reading

for the sycee tael, I'm needing picture of reverse to be sure but I think it's a good sycee, probably a small of 30g for a value of $150-250

The bullet is from Thailand and I'm unable to give you any information about the genuine.

asmodeus

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 04:12:53 pm »

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »
For me this sycee tael is genuine.

Offline BC_Eric

• Consul