Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kumaragupta I  (Read 1238 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Kumaragupta I
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:00:15 pm »
Please confirm/correct me that this is Kumaragupta I but my real question is the flan which resembles about half of these I am seeing offered for sale.  It is oval shaped but appears to have been clipped apart from a chain with two squared cut ends and two rounded sides.  Is anything known about the production methods used here?  The other half I see seem on more regular flans.  Am I missing something here?  ...perhaps more than one mint in operation? 

Mitchiner separates these by where the reverse legend starts but ignores the obverse legend.  Again I ask what I am missing that?  I fail to read the script on most of his plated coins making it hard to compare.

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Kumaragupta I
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 06:33:03 pm »
I think your identification is right, but I have only few experience on such coinage.

for the square flan, it's usual, thes coins was bullet when they was striked so many different form of flan are existing.

the weight must be around 2 gramms, if it's realy about 2 gramms, this is a compleet drachm

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity