Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius, Stukeley and RIC  (Read 884 times)

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Carausius, Stukeley and RIC
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:28:08 am »
Mauseus has posted an interesting note on a coin of Carausius on his blog here:

http://mauseus.blogspot.com/

Recommended!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Carausius, Stukeley and RIC
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 09:49:47 pm »
It seems likely that the coin Stukeley illustrates is the one now in Glasgow, since Hunter was bringing together his collection at around the time Stukeley was writing.
Curtis Clay

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:55:49 am »
That's a really cool blog, which I was not aware of before.  That coin of Carausius is also super-cool.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 05:26:41 am »
Hi Curtis

It seems likely that the coin Stukeley illustrates is the one now in Glasgow, since Hunter was bringing together his collection at around the time Stukeley was writing.

That is a possibility. John Kennedy, one of the protagonists in the Oriuna debate, sold his Carausius collection to Hunter. It is possible to positively identify some of his woodblock illustrations in the current collection.

The other thing is that not all Stukeley's illustrations are his coins.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:02:10 am »
Hi,

I’ve been doing a study of this jugate Sol “series” and I now think that you are correct Curtis in suggesting that the Hunter specimen is the one illustrated in Stukeley’s plates as I can find no reference to any other examples pairing this obverse type with this reverse legend (excepting my own example, of course).

I now have images of eleven of the twelve examples of the jugate Sol coins known to me and it is apparent that this is more than a single issue when looking at the spread of mint marks (C, CXXI and S/P//C) and the corpus is represented by four distinct obverse dies.

Five of the coins are in the British Museum (one of which, BM 1992,0635.1, must be mis-catalogued on the basis of the die links now known to me; another of the British Museum coins, BM1863,0325.4, is clearly the same specimen as the one illustrated, but not owned, by Kennedy in his “Dissertation upon Oriuna”, from 1751 ), two in the Hunter collection in Glasgow, five in private hands. I need to check the Cambridge and Oxford collections (sadly the Heberden Coin Room is undergoing a reorganisation and so is not dealing with enquiries at present) to see if they hold any further specimens.

I’m hoping that my work on this series will get properly published next year.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity