Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin from Moroco  (Read 830 times)

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Coin from Moroco
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:37:16 pm »
Hi all;
Have no clue where to start on this one. It is 11.5 mm, under 1 gram. Obv. Six point star in middle of circle surrounded by triangles with dot, radiating from the center. Rev. has weave design. Was first posted under Judean Coin section but was told it may be Morocan. Any idea's?
Ray
Raymond Carson

Manzikert

Re: Coin from Moroco
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 04:54:27 pm »
Hi Ray

Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been on the board for a while.

It is an Ottoman manghir, the standard copper coin of the Ottoman empire from the 16th-18th centuries. Unfortunately I can't say any more because this particular type isn't in my only reference for these.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Re: Coin from Moroco
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:30 pm »
Hi Alan;
Thank-you very much for the help, I have labored over this one for a long time and am happy that you took the time to identify it. You are a real asset to this Forvm.
Very thankful,
Ray
Raymond Carson

All coins are guaranteed for eternity