Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: was there a coin minted for Minervina (Constantine's wife) at all??  (Read 4083 times)

Offline James b4

• Consul
Hi

I was reading up about the Constantine's family and couldnt find any reference to a coin being minted for Constatine's 1st wife Minervina does one exist at all, and also does any body have any pictures of his daughter's coin Constantina's?????

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
Re: was there a coin minted for Minervina (Constantine's wife) at all??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:29:28 am »
As far as I know there are no coins for Minervina.
Also there are no coins for Constantine's daughter Constantina, but for his sister Constantia.

http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/natto/id/constia.htm

This RIC plate coin, located in the Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris is the only specimen I have seen a picture of so far. Constantia's coins are incredibly rare.

Stefan

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:45:37 pm »
There were coins struck for Constantine's mother, Helena, his stepmother, Theodora, his second wife, Fausta, but not for his first wife. This probably says something about the politics of that appalling family. Helena, the former tavern girl, is acceptable, presumably because she gave birth to an emperor, and was an omportant part of the imperial family. Fausta and Theodora were aristocrats, and Fausta, again, was an important family member. Minervina, probably of humble birth, vanishes from the record despite the fact that, until 326, she was the mother of Constantine's heir. Maybe Fausta was jealous, or maybe Helena thought her son had married beneath him.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:58:28 pm »
Constantia's coins are one of the great "Holy Grails" of late small bronzes - it is of course possible this coin is lurking in some uncleaned batch. I've read estimates from a low of 4 to a high of 8 published examples, total, of this coin. the higher end estimate could of course refer to duplicate counting. I know of only one of the coins photos (the RIC plate), same as quisquam - if anyone is aware of another one that has been photographed I'd love to see the pic.
If a new example of this coin hit the market, the estimate of what it could hit at auction would be interesting - tens of thousands at least, maybe  the higher tens?
Thoughts?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:42:26 am »
I know of only one of the coins photos (the RIC plate), same as quisquam - if anyone is aware of another one that has been photographed I'd love to see the pic.

There is this one from Victor's Constantine the Great website.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/family/

Alex.

Offline Eliot F

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 01:16:38 am »
About a week ago there was a coin on eBay claiming to be Minervina first wife of Constantine. It was a denarius and looked quite genuine. On the other hand it sold for $38.99

Offline Eliot F

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 01:25:12 am »
I have a picture of it saved but can’t figure out how to post it but write me if the link fails and I will sent it

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 07:38:58 am »
I think the coin is actually Faustina II with Concordia on the reverse
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 09:12:26 am »
The seller of the "Minervina" seems to be a fanciful guy :laugh:

Offline Eliot F

• Legionary
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 06:13:12 pm »
Suspected as much. Send me an e-mail and I will send you a better picture. Still obverse only. Still maybe it is one of those da Vinci’s in the attic. Some guy just paid $38 for a coin that might be priceless! Right...

Offline Eliot F

• Legionary
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 06:15:03 pm »
I have quite a few Faustian ll. I will see if one tracks out! Gotta love coin collecting!

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 03:54:17 am »
Suspected as much. Send me an e-mail and I will send you a better picture. Still obverse only. Still maybe it is one of those da Vinci’s in the attic. Some guy just paid $38 for a coin that might be priceless! Right...

No, he paid too much for a Faustina II denarius in very weak condition which would hardly sell at all if it hadn´t this absurd Minervina allusion  :laugh:

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 07:39:44 pm »
I am of the opinion that a coin of Minervina would have been issued by Crispus had he lived to succeed Constantine as Senior Augustus although that might have been delayed as long as Fausta was still alive and her three sons were considered important.  Coins of 'previous' wives were issued after the need for political correctness of the subsequent marriage carried weight. Of the people on the scene, only Crispus would have been in a position to resurrect her memory  but his early death eliminated that possibility. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity