Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My First Aureus!!!  (Read 11247 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
My First Aureus!!!
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »
I really did it now.

Bought my first aureus, after over thirty years of collecting.

As you can imagine, I had wanted this for ages, but what kept me from doing it was always that, for the price of a decent aureus, I could get a lot of more interesting coins in other metals. Still, early this year, I started to intensify my search again – after such a long time, a collection needs a gold coin!

Certainly it was also my list of demands that made the search harder. If I was to pay a real lot of money for a gold coin, I wanted it
- not too badly worn down
- with a good portrait
- not quite one of the commonest types
- not some Late Roman or Byzantine solidus that look one like the other, with no real portraits anymore
- and affordable to me without plunging my family in destitution.

That narrows the choice! Usually, prices for aurei start at about 1,000 Euros, which is what you pay for a real sluggish Nero or Vespasian with a standard reverse. CNG sold some really badly mistreated aurei from India lately, with about two to five holes each, weight plugs driven in and so on; some of these were cheap but didn’t really satisfy me either.
Now after all I did go one range up in price (yes, this is my most expensive coin now) and still made a few compromises as to condition – yes, my coin has a hole and some scratches. But this is compensated for by a coin type that leaves nothing to be desired in terms of numismatic and historical interest. The coin was in a recent sale for which I entered just this single bid, and I was really surprised to win the coin.

Gallienus
Heavy Aureus, about 264-267 AD
Obv. GALLIENAE AUGUSTAE
Head left with crown of reeds
Rev. UBIQUE PAX
Victoria with rod in biga galloping right
Diameter 18 to 20 mm, weight 5.85 g, die axis 12 o‘clock
Holed, many small scratches plus one bigger scratch in right obv. field, otherwise very fine with beautiful reddish toning in the fields
Cohen 1015, RIC 74, Göbl  689b (17 spec.)
Ex Künker sale 158, lot 740

The sense and message of this coin issue is something that wise men have been racking their brains about for centuries. (By the way, this coin type is rare, but not rarer than others of Gallienus – in fact, most other aureus types, viewed individually, are rarer.) The emperor, easily recognizable and bearded as always, wears a crown of reeds like Arethusa (like on http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=4323) or Demeter (http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=14235), accompanied by a legend naming him Empress Galliena. Hardly a good choice for an emperor who, at least in traditional historiography, always struggles with an image of being effeminate and weak. This is backed with Victory and a legend of UBIQUE PAX, together suggesting „Victory and Peace everywhere“, at a time when barbarians tried to invade at all frontiers, Postumus had firmly established himself in Gaul and several other usurpers were emerging in other parts of the empire.
No wonder scholars for a long time were inclined to believe that these were satirical coins intended to poke fun at the emperor. Yet there are two things that render this hypothesis unlikely, or, rather, impossible:

Firstly, it seems very illogical that somebody would have struck coins mocking the emperor just in gold, and in a higher weight than normal aurei. This "propaganda" would have reached a few thousand rich businessmen and politicians and disappeared in their purses, when the important thing would really have been to pass this message (like, „Our emperor is a sissy who lost all sense of reality!“) to the people. For this purpose, it would have been much more appropriate if they had struck large quantities of coins like antoniniani, just maybe two or three millimeters larger in order to attract attention.
Secondly, the style of these coins is that of the mint of Rome, and derisive coins, if they existed, should much more likely be in the style of Cologne, where Postumus had excellent engravers!

Today’s hypothesis is that this coin type may refer to the cult of Demeter and the initiation of Gallienus to the Eleusinian Mysteries – yet this event could certainly have been remembered on coins in a less ambiguous manner. To my knowledge, this mystery has by far not been solved.

Now my first aureus features the same emperor as my very first ancient coin – another thing that makes this, I think, a good choice as My First Aureus!

Best regards,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: My First Aureus!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:43:06 pm »
Wow, that's pretty cool!  It's a beautiful coin, even with the hole.

The only Aureus I have is a rather worn Claudius.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:52:15 pm »
I didn't read that whole post ;) but that's a great coin.
I really like Gallienus aurei and what's a hole like that if not a great opportunity
to buy the coin at a significantly reduced price!
Andreas Reich

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 05:02:10 pm »
Great write up and a great coin!  I also am looking for an aureus that I can afford.  I believe a hole is the way to go!  Congrats!

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:03:07 pm »
Well, it has to be a very special day for you. It's a very decent one despite the hole

Congrats
Potator

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:06:14 pm »
Mine was $500, but that's when gold was cheap, which it won't be for years to come.  It's much harder to get an Aureus nowadays.

I wish I had bought the Commodus Aureus for $200 or 300 at the same time, but it was pretty messed up.

That Gallienus is also my favorite bust type of the reign.  It's a coin to be proud of.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »
Good aquisition, and interessting type...

I wonder when the coin was holed? Interesting to muse on whether the choice of coin to wear reflects on the message.

Ben

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 05:08:01 pm »
Excellent buy!   I was tempted by this coin but as it was outside my field I resisted.  If I see a similar Severus Alexander...... ;D
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »
Excellent buy!   I was tempted by this coin but as it was outside my field I resisted.  ...

Well, thanks a lot for that!!!

@Cliff: Yes, those were the days. Looking through old catalogues, I see that I too should have started with aurei about fifteen years ago...

@Titus Pullo: Yes, a coin like that in undamaged state would be far beyond my reach, and I do greatly prefer an honest holed coin over a holed and plugged one.

Well, it has to be a very special day for you. ...

Yes, absolutely. First day at school, first kiss, first ancient coin, first job, first aureus...  :)

I didn't read that whole post ;) ...

I warn you: I can mail it to you in German if you want...  ;)

Good aquisition, and interessting type...

I wonder when the coin was holed? Interesting to muse on whether the choice of coin to wear reflects on the message.

The first image of another specimen of this type was in my old German catalogue, and that coin was holed too. Was it just for the nice quadriga, or because these were heavier than the other aurei at that time, or for the special subject? Alas, we'll never know. As for my coin, it seems that it was worn as jewellery for quite some time, since the edges, especially the upper edge, of the hole are very smooth, and I also think the edges of the coin itself were mostly smoothed by wearing, not by circulation.

Thanks for your participation,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:30:33 pm »
yeah that ones pretty cool, Congrats!

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 05:55:02 pm »
Way to snag an interesting one for your first aureus.  You have me thinking about them myself now.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:18:08 pm »
A yery special and interesting coin.

The hole makes it even more interesting for a real collector!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 06:32:22 pm »
I quite like that portrait, very expressive. Perhaps proof the premium dies were indeed used for gold.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 07:13:11 pm »
Lovely coin, despite the hole.
A very good deal. Congrats!
I regret passing up several opportunities to buy affordable aurei in the past, opting instead for other coins of similar value but greater rarity. Now the aurei I didn't buy are worth much, much more than I would have paid then and the ones I bought have merely held their value. Oh well. I still do not own one, though I have a number of solidi and provincial gold staters.
Eventually...
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 07:27:10 pm »
congrats on the coin!

Yes, absolutely. First day at school, first kiss, first ancient coin, first job, first aureus...  Smiley

hmm...where the kids came from? ;)

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 09:21:10 pm »
Very nice coin, a definite milestone in your (or any) collection, Congrats!
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »
Rupert, I have just gone green. I would love an aureus of my favorite emperor and like you a Gallienus was my first ancient coin purchase ($5 in a barging bin) over 20 years ago. The portrait, which for me is the single most important feature of a coin, is superbly done. Add to this the mystery about the true meaning of this issue- Wow!

My heartiest congratulations,
Steve

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 11:39:54 pm »
Excellent coin with an excellent story! I would gladly trade a higher grade Antonine aureus for yours! (If I had any, of course)

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 03:35:15 am »
Super coin and as often a nice story. Congratulations! :)

Regards

kc

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 04:12:17 am »
Splendid coin, congratulations!
                                                                                LordBest. 8)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 04:14:52 am »
Hi Rupert,
Congratulations on the buy! I also don't think that there is any satire going on here in the legend, which I think is a legend in the vocative case - GALLIENE AVGVSTE spelled with diphtongs AE in stead of E's. The use of AE for E (and E for AE) is encountered on more coins of this time period.
Attached is a coin of Commodus with a vocative legend.
Regards
Gert

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 05:00:39 am »
Wonderful coin. I love the portrait. Congratulations. I am sure that many of us would love to have an aureus in their collection bus suspect that most of us will not.
Regards,
Martin

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 06:25:38 am »
Here is my aureus. Against Rupert's it is quite common and not so interesting.

Obv. CAES AVG F DOMIT COS III, laureate head r.
Rev. PRINCEPS IVVENTVT, Spes advancing l., holding a flower and raising her gown

RIC 233

Regards

kc

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 01:10:46 pm »
I have always liked these late Gallienus Aurei, and despite the hole, this is one great coin - congratulations Rupert! I bet it was worth the waiting.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 03:56:49 pm »
Great coin! The example shown in my 1981 edition of Sear also has a hole (?)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity