Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hecate Triformis at Aspendus (?)  (Read 3602 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Hecate Triformis at Aspendus (?)
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:09:19 pm »
The rev. of this coin could be ACPEN - DIWN, and triple-formed Hecate is indeed a type of that mint.  I'd like to find a clearer coin from the same rev. die, however!

The obv. has me stumped. Maybe Maximus Caesar, possibly Geta Caesar? Sev. Alex. as Caesar or Philip II as Caesar seem less likely. Or maybe some young Augustus of the first half of the third century, despite the omitted laurel wreath?

This coin has been consigned for Gemini VI without any attribution. I'd like to know how it was attributed when the collector purchased it!

33 mm, 21.13 gr.

Two animals springing left and right from Hecate's feet, a detail I overlooked on the coin itself.
Curtis Clay

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Hecate Triformis at Aspendus (?)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:14:35 pm »

Nothing quite like this in Isegrim, altho' Isegrim may list va:wreath laurel where none's to be found; the two animals are likely two hounds, since Hekate delighted in dog-sacrifice.  Interesting specimen.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 02:44:33 pm »
Curtis,
I also think this is most probably Aspendos. I could not find coins of this module for the earlier Caesars, and comparing reverse dies of Hekate Triformis from Aspendos, your coin best matches (perhaps even die-matches) Von Aulock 4591, a coin of Julia Soaemias, which would make Severus Alexander Caesar the best candidate.
Regards
Gert

Cayo Julio César

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:29:02 pm »
Una interesante moneda...tal vez unica.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:19:18 pm »
http://tinyurl.com/yh86qdh

ANS search on Hecate Triformis also gives a large module Gallienus coin of Perga, which may be another Mint to search

Eugene
Eugene

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:32:46 pm »
The Gallienus Hekate from Perga is one of the unpublished types in Isegrim Extended, and it's definitely not Curtis's coin; neither are the four other Hekate Triformis issues that I've listed there, alas, though the Mastaura AE23 (the third specimen here) bears a casual resemblance to Curtis's.  There are several rare Triformis issues from Aezanis, Phrygia, 253-68 AD, with reverses that share much with Curtis's coin but apparently not the two hounds; I can post one Aezanis reverse if that too might be useful for comparison.

Isegrim Extended https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=49390.0 and
Isegrim http://isegrim.dasr.de/isegrim/anmelden.html

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 11:26:19 pm »
Thanks to Gert for solving the problem!

I also think Aulock 4591 of Julia Soaemias at Aspendus is probably from the same rev. die. Therefore the coin is indeed of Aspendus, and almost certainly of Sev. Alex. as Caesar.

Thanks also to Archivum, Edessa and César for their suggestions and comments.
Curtis Clay

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:16:38 am »

Isegrim mentions only one other Hekate Triformis with hounds, another large coin, Maximinus I from Themisonium, Phrygia, SNG von Aulock 4021; that reverse too may be worth a quick peek for completeness' sake.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 11:10:01 am »
Thanks. Aulock 4021 is quite different in style and legend, with the final N in left field, but interesting for the dogs!
Curtis Clay

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 10:21:40 pm »
SNG France 3 no. 181 Gordian III of Aspendos also has a very similar treatment of Hecate Triformis.  I cannot be certain that the hound is there and its not mentioned in the description.

Eugene
Eugene

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:50:04 am »
A bit tardy, but here is a scan of the SNG Paris coin, a Gordian on a smaller module.  The central figure in several of these depictions seems to have a right leg advanced.  I wonder if that is supposed to simulate movement?

Eugene
Eugene

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 05:02:04 pm »
Even tardier - I am just doing the excel list of Malcolm's Diadumenian book and there is an entry in Mionnet, as follows:

Tavium, Galatia   18mm
AVT M O DIA[...]ANOS AU   Laureate head right
TRWK TAOUIANWN   Hecate–Triformis   standing with her attributes
Mionnet Vol. 3, No.167, p.401

just in case anyone is keeping track of Hekate !

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:46:09 pm »
Thanks, Dane!

The Gemini catalogue just went to the printer, with an acknowledgement to Gert B. for the attribution of the Hecate piece!
Curtis Clay

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 04:35:24 pm »
By coincidence, I today noticed a coin from the same dies in Frank Sternberg's Auktion XXV, 25th and 26th November 1991, Zürich, lot no. 388, there attributed to Perge with the note: das Stück hat den gleichen Revers wie SNG v. Aulock 4591 - irrtümlich nach Aspendos gelegt. Avers dort Julia Soaemias.

Sternberg reads the legend as [ΠЄPΓ]-AIΩN. While the A is not clearly readable on the picture, I suspect it must have been clearer in hand since the reattribution to Perge is based upon the reading of AIΩN instead of ΔIΩN alone. I wouldn't want to decide from the pictures whether Sternberg was right or not.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 05:02:15 pm »
Hi Lars,
I think that's just a slip up by Sternberg cataloguer, giving the Aulock coin to Perge to support his reading of the coin that must also have been from Aspendos  - I would say that that the Von Aulock coin, even in my Forni reprint, cannot possibly have a Pergan ethnic, as the letter Pi is preceded by other letters.
Regarsd
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity