Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Forvm Award For Numismatic Excellence?

Yes
7 (46.7%)
No
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: October 30, 2009, 06:39:55 am

Author Topic: The National Numismatic Collections - Award Poll  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
The National Numismatic Collections - Award Poll
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:39:55 am »

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: The National Numismatic Collections - Award Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »
Not much care was taken in photography.  I haven't made up my mind yet.  Must read all the text.  Pat L.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:09 am »
Pat-

Are you talking about the thumbnails in "The Demareteion Master" section?  I agree that the thumbnails look pixellated, but I thought that the larger photos that pop up when you click on the thumbnails were pretty good.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:27:56 pm »
The clicked images, of course.  I found them over-contrasty and off color.  But I'll look at more.  Pat L.
P.S. It was the Corinthian staters that I thought especially ill photographed: the worst use of axial light I've seen recently and too low resolution.
Also, the US and other gold, side by side, one looking like butterscotch, one looking like machine brass.  The eyes of children and other beginners should not start with such images.  The collection of staters, of course, is very good, but if they can't learn color they should stick to grayscale and NOT that lighting, whatever it was.
Pat L.

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:12:01 pm »
The images of the Russian coins seem particularly bad, with all the highlights burned out. They look like textbook examples of how not to do it-Jim A

All coins are guaranteed for eternity