Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Right facing martial bust die link with unusual obverse legend  (Read 1072 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Right facing martial bust die link with unusual obverse legend
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:21:39 am »
Hi,

Long title for a thread (sorry) but I've just acquired a very rare and unusual Carausius radiate, only my second right facing martial bust:

Carausius 287-93AD
Antoninianus
Obv "VICTORIA CARAVSI A"
Radiate, cuirassed bust right with spear & shield
Rev "LITiTI AV"
Laetitia/Pax stg left with vertical sceptre
Unmarked mint
RIC - (cf 835ff, also see RIC 786 for similar obverse)

The spear is just visible behind the head of Carausius, and of course, the end of the word VICTORIA coming around from the back of the head. We are fortunate that this rare obverse type is known from two other die duplicate coins in the British Museum:

FORTVNA [....]CV, Little Orme Hoard

an this coin:

[....]MIL AETER, RSR

It is evidence that the early unmarked issues and the RSR issues are probably the same mint and this could be applied to the silver which are known as both RSR and unmarked types.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline kc

• Caesar
Re: Right facing martial bust die link with unusual obverse legend
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 10:09:26 am »
Hi mauseus,

nice find, congratulations :)

Regards

kc

All coins are guaranteed for eternity