Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An interesting Severus Alexander denarius  (Read 1467 times)

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
An interesting Severus Alexander denarius
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:39:06 pm »
I bought this denarius of Severus Alexander from my local coin shop and initially I thought it could be a fouree given the rust like formations on the surface, especially beneath the arms of Spes on the reverse.

Anyway I did some investigating and removed a layer of this "rust" from the right hand side of the obverse portrait only to discover more silver underneath. This got me thinking; is this in fact just evidence of the low silver content of the denarius at this point?

This coin is less than 50% silver so could it be that this is actually just the other metals in the alloy oxidising?

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Re: An interesting Severus Alexander denarius
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »
An interesting coin and in particular the reverse
I don't see much evidence of corrosion on the surface (ie porosity) so unless coin was struck with a rusty die, the "rust" has probably been transferred from the surroundings, perhaps other AE coins
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

All coins are guaranteed for eternity