Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 04:08:09 pm
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Biblical & Judean Coins (Moderators: Salem Alshdaifat, Aarmale)  |  Topic: Hendin 5th Edition , any Ideas ??? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hendin 5th Edition , any Ideas ???  (Read 3576 times)
Salem Alshdaifat
IMPERATOR
Caesar

I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.

« on: September 27, 2009, 01:27:58 pm »

Dear Forum Members and Especially the Judaean collectors, I am honored by my dear friend David Hendin to go through the Ancient Hebrew script in the comming Edition, the 5th guide to Judaean coins which will see the light hopefully next year, I am telling you that it will be a great book as usuall David worked hard in the past years to put togather the best he can  Smiley
I will be happy to hear from you Folks if you have any idea to make it easy for you to learn how to ID Judaean coins? or any Ideas on the Hebrew script presintation ??
plz share with me any thing you think will be helpfull for new collectors .
all the best
Salem

goldenancients
Magistratus Optima Lege
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:46:37 pm »

Salem,

That's great and certainly an honor! As far as ideas for the Hebrew script as it relates to the book, I was thinking that widening the chart comparing paleo-hebrew script to Hebrew block script would be nice to reference in the text for the many variations of ancient Hebrew characters that are found on coinage. Your list of phrases commonly found on coins is very helpful also.

But, I think the most useful thing would be the identification of the variants in either spelling or the way the letter is written. Such as  Judean_hey and  Judean_hey_1 or  Judean_kaf_1 and  phoenician_kaf_2.  etc.

I have put together a true type font face of paleo-hebrew that I use for just this purpose. Anyone is welcome to it. Just PM me.
Can't wait to see the new book! Is there a target release date?

Danny

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 04:05:35 pm »

The Hasmonean issues need to be covered in a lot more detail, and some discussion of the variation in letter styles would help. I find the 4th Edition almost useless for Hyrcanus I, and while there's an enormous variation in the Hebrew styles in the coin illustrations, this isn't really referenced anywhere. Where there are occasional references to different styles, there isn't the detail needed to make this useful, and without Meshorer, I'd never have worked out what was meant.The chart on page 461 is useful, but would be a lot better if a wider range of styles was shown. For instance, Heth is shown as an oblong divided horizontally, but it should also be shown divided vertically. A note of which rulers used which would be good. Nun often looks quite different to the style illustrated. And so on.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
aramnave
Praetorian

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:41:01 pm »

I would echo what others have written - a more complete table including variants of the script would be useful, especially with chronological references included.  In fact  - I would like to see it go one step further.  Within different types, a table showing block Hebrew script of the entire inscription on the one hand, with variants of paleo-hebrew full inscriptions, would be very useful).  A full set of such tables seems beyond the scope of Hendin's book, but an appendix with the most commonly occurring types would be really useful.
frederic
Consul

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:10:32 pm »

Hello, I'm agree with you. The script on the Hasmonean coins is the principale interest of this coinage. It's interresting to know the differents variants of letter and the correspondance with the Dead Sea Scroll during the Hasmonean period, the different type of spelling, the voluntary variants of spelling and the probable mistakes.

Other point is the average weight of the different types of coins,the localisation of the area of use and the localisation of discovery hoards.

The current classification in the Hendin'book is too simple in comparaison with TJC for Hasmonean coinage.

Best Regards

Frederic

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:33:05 pm »

The DSS are written in an early type of square script, which is different from both modern Hebrew and the script on hHasmonean coins. The latter was consciously (has to have been!) archaising, but I'm not sure what period it was trying to imitate.

Robert Brenchley

Aarmale
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 05:41:15 pm »

Congratulations!  afro 
I think it would be nice to express the ancient script in diffrent writings to.  I looked at one site, and it showed the lettter "Taf" as a lowercase " cross".  Later i also was it depicted as an X like  Judean_taw_1 and  Judean_taw_2

Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פלפלתא חריפתא ממלי צני קרי
frederic
Consul

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 12:41:24 pm »

Hi,
There's some DDS in paleo-Hebrew as 4QpaleoExod and 4QpaleoLev. The graphy of script on Hasmonean coins is very particular and sign this period. Some letters are specific to this period like "He". R Hanson had worked a lot on paleography.

There's a book on the net on this DDS, the chapter II is "paleography":http://books.google.fr/books?id=zqeoIeqGJ54C&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=R+hanson+leviticus&source=bl&ots=lqxrnMvyZ8&sig=5BHWUM8jV5t2PCG4nuIP2UHZKQg&hl=fr&ei=cKLDSpD6O9DI-QbA0IXvCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=R%20hanson%20leviticus&f=false

There's a another interesting article write by R Hanson but I don't find it (may be if someone own one, think about me):
Paleo-Hebrew Scripts in the Hasmonean Age. Richard S. Hanson, Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research, No. 175 (Oct., 1964), pp. 26-42 doi:10.2307/1355821

Best Regards

Fred

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 01:36:30 pm »

The way the article relates the script used in that manuscript to the Hasmonean coin script is interesting. I'm not sure when it was published, but the attribution of the YHWHNN coins to Hyrcanus II is way out of date.

Robert Brenchley

frederic
Consul

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 02:21:41 pm »

Effectively, the copyright is 1985
fred

Salem Alshdaifat
IMPERATOR
Caesar

I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 12:29:05 am »

Thanks Folks for the Ideas you share with me Smiley
I will do my best to make it very easy to read the Hasmonean coins, I dont think that Hendin will go as deep as Mesh in the varity of the script, dont forget that it is a Guide to Judaean coins, it is the way to start collecting, I will send David the link for this topic so he can see what to do.
all the best and still open for any new ideas.
thanks Members for sharing those ideas .
all the best
Salem

goldenancients
Magistratus Optima Lege
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 11:38:34 pm »

Any news on the progress or release of the new edition?

John K
Consul

"Moneychanger" US$'s become shekels & prutahs!

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 05:41:12 pm »

In the December 2009 copy of The Celator, in David Hendin's usual section on Coins of the Bible, he talks about his 5th edition of GBC.  He says that he hopes to have it "published in the middle of next year."

He notes that he is changing the numbering system so that there is no confusion with earlier editions. He will do this by starting with the number 1001. What I really enjoyed hearing about is that he is including a complete concordance between the earlier editions of the GBC, as well as Meshorer's works, Mildenberg's text and RIC (Judaea Capta section)

I was sorry to read that he is dropping the city coinage section because this is an area of collecting that I am now exploring, but notes that he thinks that an upcoming ANS book will cover this section better. 

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 04:09:36 pm »

Many of the cities he mentions are better covered by SNG ANS vol 6, which is usually available at quite a reasonable price; FORVM currently has it for $55. If a new volume is coming out, that will of course be a welcome addition!

Robert Brenchley

Ibex-coins
Consul

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 02:36:26 am »

The ANS volume on city coins has reportedly been close to being published for over 5 years now.  Meshorer was working on this, after his death I believe Rachel Barkely was slated to finish the work.  The Title and description of this book is as follows: 

Coins of the Holy Land: The Abraham D. Sofaer Collection at The American Numismatic Society

This book is a comprehensive, fully illustrated, two-volume catalogue of approximately 5,000 coins from the late Persian period (4th century BC) to the Crusaders in the Middle Ages. City coins from Israel, Palestine, and adjoining countries are well represented in the collection, as are coins issued by Jewish, Samaritan, Nabataean, and other rulers.

I have been waiting a while now for this work, Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Ronn
goldenancients
Magistratus Optima Lege
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 06:44:38 am »

Although it would be difficult to add newly discovered variations to the current numbering system, Hendin's numbers have become the standard reference for Judean coins, and it will be interesting (if not confusing) to see how older records as well as newly listed coins will be attributed to reconcile the two numbering systems. (Or maybe the older one will be completely discarded in favor of the new.) Regardless, I'm looking forward to this publication.

Danny

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 01:47:59 pm »

It may be a good thing to revolutionise it! His system is fine for Herodian and Procuratorial coins, but it's not much use for Hasmoneans, as he has far too few types.

Robert Brenchley

goldenancients
Magistratus Optima Lege
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 10:43:13 am »

Orders are being taken now for the 5th edition and the book will be shipped out in August. I noticed that the first 200 copies would be numbered and autographed, according to the ad in the Celator magazine.

Orpio
Consul

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 03:08:43 pm »

I can't wait for this book!  Smiley

Goldenancients, have you the last number of Celator? Any intersting articles about Biblical coins?
goldenancients
Magistratus Optima Lege
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 11:55:32 pm »

Late may? Wow. I guess I'm behind. My mail is sent to my US address and then forwarded to me overseas, so I don't usually have the latest copy until a month or so later. I sent an email asking if the signed copies are still available.

Here are the changes listed for the new edition: 

1. Complete listing of Judaea Capta series, the first time this has been assembled as a series in a single volume with other Judaean and Biblical coins, exceeding even the coins listed in the new Roman Imperial Coinage. (City coins are discussed briefly but omitted from this edition to make room for the Judaea Capta coins.) The book is expanded by some 200 pages from the 4th Edition. However, this will soon be remedied by a new book The Sofaer Collection at the American Numismatic Society to be published next year by the American Numismatic Society. (Together with Andy Meadows, assistant director of the ANS, I am preparing the book for its publication.)
2. Many new composite images and drawings.
3. NEW numbering system begins with 1001; COMPLETE (20-page!) concordance between GBC 5 and previous 2 GBC numbering systems as well as Treasury by Meshorer, Ancient Jewish Coinage by Meshorer, and other relevant books for specific series such as Mildenberg for Bar Kokhba coins, Samarian Coinage, Coinage of Philistia, etc.
4. Nearly twice as many pages of photographic plates.
5. Many new additional illustrations and photographs.
6. New and revised text discusses the latest available information on attribution and dating of this series.
7. 45 pages of end notes and comments, numbered references throughout book, and expanded bibliography.
8. Completely revised values by Herb Kreindler.
9. INDEX plus LATIN INSCRIPTION index (for easy ID of Judaea Capta Roman issues).
10. Study of the metrology of the Judaean prutot coinage, with full details of Hendin's study of more than 10,000 coins recently published.

goldenancients
Magistratus Optima Lege
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 12:23:15 pm »

I just received an email from David Hendin saying that all 200 numbered copies are already reserved. I'm sure if you emailed and asked nicely, that he'd sign a copy of one for you. If this book ends up being as hard to find as the last edition, I'd suggest you put in your order now.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 11:55:54 am »

The Guide to Biblical Coins 5th edition is now available in the Forum cataloghttp://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1209&pos=0#Judean & Biblical Books

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
cmcdon0923
Caesar

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 11:07:26 pm »

I got an email from David Hendin on Thursday stating that my signed and numbered copy of the book had shipped....can't wait !!!

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 07:43:07 am »

Home > Catalog > Coin Books and Supplies > Judean & Biblical Books > BK43168

Guide to BIBLICAL COINS, 5th Edition

The new edition of the most popular reference ever written for ancient biblical and Jewish coins.  6 x 9 inch, study stitch-bound hardcover with full color dustjacket, 640 pages

BK43168.  Guide to BIBLICAL COINS, 5th Edition, by David Hendin, values by Hebert Kreindler, $85.00

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
cmcdon0923
Caesar

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 02:41:06 pm »

My signed and numbered copy arrived in the mail just a little while ago.  I spent a few minutes thumbing through it and my initial thoughts are that the changes are FABULOUS.  I especially appreciate the added/expanded historical information on various areas, and I like that some of the coins are now illustrated with either actual photographs of examples, or composites made by JPF, or the standard line drawings. 

One thing that, while I understand the reason for it, is going to take a lot of getting used to is the new numbering scheme.  Personally, I collect the coins of the Herodians and Procurators/Prefrects.  I have them all memorized as to "Hendin" number, and can readilly attribute them on site.  And while the 5th edition does contain a concordance tying previous GBC numbers to the new scheme (as well as various other publications' numbering systems), I will certainly miss the old system.  I an still trying to figure out if I wish to rename everything in my gallery and the flips I use to house my coins.

But, regardless....the new edition, at first glance, is more than just a revision....it brings these coins to a whole new level of collectibility and study.

Excellent job David (et al) !!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Biblical & Judean Coins (Moderators: Salem Alshdaifat, Aarmale)  |  Topic: Hendin 5th Edition , any Ideas ??? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop