Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: how NOT to clean ancient coins  (Read 3787 times)

Jon the Lecturer

how NOT to clean ancient coins
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:44:56 am »
Hi everyone,

About a year ago I cleaned my coins very ignorantly and in the wrongest possibly way. Since  I used to be a goldsmith I used jewellery method which employs annealing the coins and then throwing the extreme hot coins in hydrocholoric acid.

The result is in the pictures . I wonder though If I ruined any good coins or I mean did I really ruin them ?

Anyway, I think noone should heat coins and throw them into acid Smiley It is just ignorant Smiley

Regards

Jon

PS: disregard the two uncleaned coins in the picture, I just happened to scanned them together

So, you should never heat the coins ad throw in the any kind of acid, that would ruin the patina for good:)

this topic was posted at another part of the forum :

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=56530.0;topicseen

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Re: how NOT to clean ancient coins
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:37:37 pm »
DONT feel bad at all, I ruined thousands in coins befor I learn, and I think I learned the best I can   :), but I think you went realy Wild  ;)
regards
Salem

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:45:42 pm »
Don't worry, what's a few thousand coins, there are more where those came from.  ::)
Andreas Reich

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 03:52:25 pm »
Salem,

I've got to know. How did you ruin thousands of coins ??????     
What in the world were you doing?

:o

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:01:40 pm »
I will give one example .
when I first start buying bronze coins I used to over clean them till they are shiny , and was thinking it is better, I cleaned thousands of them like this and when I start to see the internet when it first came to my place, I found that I was stripping coins and not cleaning them.

one time by mistake I ruined around 3000 Constantinian coins but by mistake, I added a strong Acid that I use for cleaning silver coins instead of light Acid, when I saw the smoke I relaize some thing was wrong, I looked at the Acid container and found out what was wrong  :(
the whole hoard went to my junk box.
regards
Salem

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »
Wow... I don't feel so bad anymore about the coins I've ruined. Smoke emanating from a coin can never be a good thing. Well, you've definitely made up for it with Holyland. Wish I could afford to ruin 3000 coins.... not that I want to ruin 3000 coins. Oh well, I've ruined my fair share, so I won't get to jealous. ;D

Danny

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 02:29:27 am »
I'd rather no one ruined thousands of coins by taking off their patina with acid.  :-[
Andreas Reich

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:06:23 am »
light Acid with green water hoard deposit wont take the patina if the coins are silvered, if you use the right Acid it will take the green dirt and leave the original Patina and silvering intact.

Salem

Jon the Lecturer

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 03:08:23 am »
Well, :)

I do not feel as bad anymore,  I only ruined o let's say remove the patina and roughness of about 9 coins , not thousands ...
This is a lesson for al, especially for novice collectors .

best

Jon

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:40:16 pm »
light Acid with green water hoard deposit wont take the patina if the coins are silvered, if you use the right Acid it will take the green dirt and leave the original Patina and silvering intact.

Salem

Salem,
Is it the type of acid that matters (for cleaning bronzes), or just the concentration? Any hints would be appreciated!

Ben

gavignano

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 10:28:55 pm »
Just a note to more recent Forvm members - for quite a while now Salem has been sharing some of his experiences, including dropping hints about a particular technique he notes he paid tens of thousands of dollars to know. I will admit some of the pictures he has posted are astonishing (how nicely they cleaned). I will say to any novice though, acids should only be used by the highly knowledgeable in a well ventilated area - its not even close to a safe substance.
Salem has noted he does his work outside.

Offline Ed Bear

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Coin Cleaning Notes
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 09:31:44 pm »
Salem,
Is it the type of acid that matters (for cleaning bronzes), or just the concentration? Any hints would be appreciated!
Ben

I've been doing a bit reading in metallurgy lately and I'm almost ready to start a few experiments, but I'm also starting to see why people might be hesitant to communicate things casually.  The behavior of some acids on copper alloys can vary quite a bit depending upon conditions, but giving people recipes for this kind of thing could also lead to disaster! 

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 11:45:36 pm »
I would not use any but an extreamly weak acid solution such as olive oil unless you are going to sit and watch the acid work-not place on a shelf and check back ina day or two.
I assume that ancient bronze coins have certain "Impurities" such as traces of silver or other metals, and there is no consistacy in what impurities or which impuritues are present in any given coin.
For instance, ancient coin bronze should just be copper with some tin. An acid that goes easy on those may attack an impurity that whose presence  in unknown to the cleaner, resuting in a rough, pitted coin

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 04:37:11 pm »
I've used white vinegar successfully, in short soaks alternating with brushing, to get rid of a mass of green across the surface of a Postumus bronze. The coin had already lost any patina it had ever had in previous attempts at cleaning, and the vinegar did no further harm. I'd hesitate to use it on any coin with patina though.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity