Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Roman Gold and Glass token?  (Read 7795 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Ancient Roman Gold and Glass token?
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
Dear Friends,

I didn't know where to post this item - it is ancient glass but it may also be a token or something else entirely. I have no idea what it is. It is circular, and made of translucent green glass. Seemingly, when the glass was molten, a die was covered in gold leaf/foil,  then pressed into the molten glass, leaving a gilded impression in the glass. The maximum diameter is about 8.95 mm, and the height of the golden oval is about 5 mm.
     Has anyone seen anything like this before? Thanks.
Russ

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Re: Ancient Roman Gold and Glass token?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:40:55 pm »
I think you were correct in placing it here. The only ancient glass tokens that I know of look entirely different. I would suspect that this was some other sort of bauble or decoration. See below for a glass token of Roman Egypt from my collection.

EGYPT, Uncertain
Glass Tessera   (17mm; 2.33 g)
Draped bust of Nike left
Head of Herakles right
Milne -; Dattari (Savio) 6555; Köln -

Offline Russ

• Consul
Re: Ancient Roman Gold and Glass token?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:28:28 pm »
Hi Ardatirion,

Thanks loads for your response.

Yours certainly looks similar even though it is nearly twice the size of mine. At less than 9 mm, mine could easily get lost or stuck in the lining or seam of a pouch. Perhaps, it was meant to be used in jewelry or as a souvenir... just an ancient oddity.

Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity