Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another interesting hut coin  (Read 909 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Another interesting hut coin
« on: August 25, 2009, 07:41:13 am »
This is another coin not listed in RIC, but not deserving of a new number, because only the officina is new.

It is interesting in that it has clear and distinct casting sprues.  The flans of hut coins from Antioch appear to have been made in at least two ways, maybe four ways.  Some show sprues, like this; some have a piece out of one edge, possibly where broken from a mother cast;  some have the appearance of being roughly cut with shears.  Yet others are perfectly shaped.  That's quite a variety of techniques for a period of only two to three years (348-350 CE).

Billon centenionalis of ConstansAntioch, officina 5.  20mm x 21mm, 4.21g
Obverse: D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG. Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust left, globe in right hand.
Reverse: FEL TEMP REPA-RATIO. Helmeted soldier, spear in left hand, advancing right, head left; with his right hand he leads a small bare-headed figure from a hut beneath a tree. The spear points downwards, between the soldier's legs.
Exergue: ANЄ

Click to enlarge.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Another interesting hut coin
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:22:18 am »
Here's a montage of two each of the various types, all from Antioch, to show what I mean.  "Perfect" means without any of the three types of flaw, but not necessarily a perfect circle.

These obverses all have the "Mark of Antioch" - three diadem ties.

Click to enlarge.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:17:18 am »
RIC 126, right?
Curtis Clay

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:42 am »
Yes.  Sorry, I should have said - the first coin posted is RIC VIII Antioch 126.

The coins in the montage are:

126 ANЄ, 126 ANΔ, 128 ANΔ, 126 ANΓ

128 ANS, 128 ANΘ, 126 ANS, 126 ANB.

Interestingly .. this one, RIC VIII Antioch 128 ANS, has what could be a sprue as well as the appearance of being cut with shears.  So perhaps it is cast from an original blank that was roughly cut.  This is poor workmanship in compatison with the dies, which are generally well made.

Bill

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:56:50 am »
Bill,
I hadn't read your thread fully and read your exe. as ANS even when I looked at it a couple of times. Is it clearly an E in hand? I need new spectacles (I have them on order at the moment so am being serious here) and wasn't sure.
Regards,
Martin

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:11:26 am »
Well, it looks more like an Є than an S in the hand.  Here's an ANS from another Antioch 126.  The top of an S should go further to the right and have more of a curve on the left.  But there is enough damage to that part of the exergue that I would not bet a huge sum on it, actually. It is possible that what I am taking as the lower part of the back of the epsilon is actually a serif coming up from the bottom of an S.

Bill

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 11:36:07 am »
That is exactly how I am reading is. The bottom left should be curved as is the top left for an E but it looks vertical and I took it for the serif of the S.
Regards,
Martin

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:24:03 pm »
Well then, I'd better record it as an S in the circumstances.  The sprues are still interesting, though.

Bill

All coins are guaranteed for eternity