Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip II Alexandrian BI tet...  (Read 448 times)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Philip II Alexandrian BI tet...
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:20:56 am »

This is a year II issue with an eagle reverse but I can't seem to find any reference on line; can someone help?

thanks!

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
Re: Philip II Alexandrian BI tet...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:35:24 pm »
Eagle standing left, head right, wreath in beak - Emmett-3587(2)
Legend should read - MIOVFILIPPOCKCEB

Kurt

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:16:49 pm »
This is a lot more difficult of a coin to identify. It can not be Philip II as what inscription is visible does not fit the inscription of year 2 for him. As well the portrait appears laureate. It reminds me more of Valerian I or Gallienus (joint reign), but that eagle type does not occur in year 2. Valerian would be a cuirassed bust, Gallienus draped and cuirassed.

Iwaniw

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:55:42 pm »
I see no reason this is not Philip I and, with LB date, there is no chance of PII with AK ---- EV CE legends.

This is not an exact legend match but is in the neighborhood:
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=alexandria+philip&view_mode=1&cac=1&cng=1&fac=1&page=3#15

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 01:05:27 am »
This is surely Valerian I coin, it cant be Philip at all, I have tones of those coins, and 100% agree with Iwani that it is Valerian I, Emmett 3707
regards
Salem

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:41:12 am »
cool, thanks!

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 02:36:22 pm »
Ecoli:

The condition of the coin and the similarities of the start and end of the inscription, would make both Philip I and Valerian I possible. The inscription may be blundered, which may complicate the issue.The confirming inscription part is missing.

Philip I inscription would be:

AKMIOVFILIPPOCEVCEB

Valerian I inscription would be:

AKPLIOVALERIANOCEVEVC

This eagle type is only known for year 2 Philip I, which would tend to suggest him over Valerian.

The eagle type for Valerian I is with open wings. I am attaching a picture of exCurtis 1505. If it turns out to be Valerian I, it would be unpublished.

Iwaniw

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 04:16:39 pm »
Thank you very much for your efforts. 

I bought a small lot of these for fun and found that the on line resources for these coins are not very good :(

All coins are guaranteed for eternity