Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: LRB cleaning advice please  (Read 1571 times)

Offline JRoME

• Consul
LRB cleaning advice please
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:15:29 pm »
Delmatius
FL DELMATIVS NOB C
LDC
GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS
CONSI? (process of elimination)

I have been soaking this in distilled water for about 2 weeks and hitting it with a toothpick, plastic fork daily.  I've taken a metal pin to it a little but not much. Any advice for further cleaning or should I stop now?

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
Re: LRB cleaning advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:47:04 pm »
Personally I would say that you have a long way to go. I would try a mix of 1 part ordinary vinegar to 20 parts de-ionized water. This is about a 1% vinegar mix, and would work very slowly.  soak the coin for about 15 minutes, then scrub. You have some really hard clay and copper oxide that is still block int coins details. After the stuff starts breaking up, soak the coin in baking soda and water mix for 24 hours to neutralize the vinegar. You need to watch carefully if you use vinegar around copper based materials

An alternative method, boil the coin in de-ionized water [2 cups] with a teaspoon of dishwasher soap and a teaspoon of baking soda. Boil for about 2 minutes, then let it sit until it is cool. The clay need to be softened. You can scrub it with a stiff nylon brush as soon as you can handle it.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:20:02 pm »
Bruce: Would the vinegar method be helpful for the red boils or the coin in general? (I have never tried this, but have a few coins that would benefit if this is the case!)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:37:52 pm »
Delmatius
FL DELMATIVS NOB C
LDC
GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS
CONSI? (process of elimination)

I have been soaking this in distilled water for about 2 weeks and hitting it with a toothpick, plastic fork daily.  I've taken a metal pin to it a little but not much. Any advice for further cleaning or should I stop now?

Mechanically, I find a lighter touch with a hard metal tip is much more rewarding than hard pick with a soft tip(like toothpick)...

CzarMike

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:11:17 pm »
Pick at it with an aluminum poker.

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 06:37:11 pm »
Bruce: Would the vinegar method be helpful for the red boils or the coin in general? (I have never tried this, but have a few coins that would benefit if this is the case!)

Chris

Chris, the 'red boils' are best left alone. these have been discussed in the long past on this thread. They are the remains of ancient Bronze Disease or something like it and are hollow and there is nothing to be gained by opening them. I would work on the rest of the coin.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:00:51 pm »
Yeah, I have taken part in a few red boil discussions here in the past as well...I was just hoping you had changed your mind about them being not worth dealing with! :) I am currently working a lot of greek coins, with a couple that would be beautiful were it not for the red-boil-itis.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline JRoME

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:18:55 pm »
Thanks you all  for your advice.  I will post a pic when I am done.

Best,
JRoME

All coins are guaranteed for eternity