Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dio translation  (Read 2663 times)

bredtclan@charter.net

Dio translation
« on: August 01, 2009, 05:17:50 pm »
I am working on a vota coin and there is a reference in Mattingly to a quote from Dios.  Can anyone translate the two Greek quotes in the attached pdf?
Thanks,
Paul

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Dio translation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 06:25:18 pm »
I'll risk a sight translation: Prayers on behalf of the rising-up of Augustus were made. Or rather, in context:
on behalf of the uprising of the Augustus?
Unless epanodos just means about the same as profectio.
Better question, where did I shelve Dio?
Pat L.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:38:46 pm »
Cary's Loeb translation:

"(Because of all these signs) prayers were offered for the return of Augustus. Meanwhile they also held the quinquennalian celebration of his sovereignty" (Cary actually says quadrennial).
Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:42:04 pm »
Thank you, Curtis.  I ought to keep my Loeb Dio all shelved in one place.  Pat

bredtclan@charter.net

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 12:27:48 am »
Wow, you guys really know your stuff.  the coins reverse is "i o m sacr' target='_blank'>VOT P SVSC PRO SAL ET RED I O M SACR" with Mars and standards.  “Vota publice suscepta pro salute et redilu Iovi optimo maximo sacrata”, and Van Meter translates to ‘public vows undertaken, for his reverence and safe return they are consecrated to the best and greatest Jupiter’.  I get the Mars and standards reference to return of the standards from Parthia, but any clue why the reference to Jupiter?
I found one reference suggesting it is because of the Sacred Plays which did have a sacrefice to Jupiter.  Could it also be a reference to Fortuna's mythical father, or is that a long shot?
Thanks again,
Paul

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 01:21:13 am »
Paul,

As I wrote in response to your similar question on July 3:

"Two German auctions in CoinArchives expand the legend to VOTa Publica SVSCepta PRO SALute ET REDitu Iovi Optimo Maximo SACrata .

"The translation is different from what you thought: "Public vows have been undertaken, holy to Jupiter the Best and Greatest, for the Well-being and the Return (of the Emperor)".  The occasion for the vows was Augustus' upcoming departure for Gaul."

It doesn't seem surprising that the vows had been made to Jupiter, the chief god of the Romans.
Curtis Clay

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 03:04:45 am »
At Lacus Curtius you find the whole Dio in English: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/home.html
Very useful site.

Frank

All coins are guaranteed for eternity