Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval(?) bronze coin?  (Read 485 times)

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Medieval(?) bronze coin?
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:13:31 pm »
This coin looks medieval to me. But does anyone knows something about its identity?

Best regards
Pierre

romeo

Re: Medieval(?) bronze coin?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:51:53 am »
looks more like a french jeton to me

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:07 am »
Ok, maybe a jeton. Why do you think it is french?

romeo

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:58:55 am »
i cant be definate about the French bit, but the stlye looks very similar to a french one i used to have, problem is there are sooooo many different types, maybe this link will help you, http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/jetons/j20/gb/sommairegbd868.html?sommaire=Jetons%20class%E9s%20par%20types&nbfic=1000

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:37 am »
Also, the arms with crown and fleurdelys in field point to a French monarchy. Could be France or Anjou in Naples, but the latter would be rather untypical. I agree with jeton (token) not coin, anyway.

Regards, P.  :)
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »
Thanks for the help guys! With this information I was able to start searching the Internet and it turned out that you were right. Ít is a french jeton of something called "shield of France-type", dating to the 15th century.

Best
Pierre

All coins are guaranteed for eternity