Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 20 OCTOBER Layaway and reserve are not available during the sale. Shop NOW and save! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 20 OCTOBER Please call us if you have questions 252-646-1958. Shop NOW and save!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: acsearch.info - an Ancient Coin Search Engine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: acsearch.info - an Ancient Coin Search Engine  (Read 33489 times)
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam

« on: July 19, 2009, 08:00:25 am »

Simon Wieland, Markus Beyeler and I have launched a new Ancient Coin Search Engine that we had been working on the last months: www.acsearch.info

It cointains more than 300'000 entries from printed auctions as well as from dealers who generously provided access to their databases. We would like to mention that Joe was one of them and express our thanks to him!

Comments are welcome.

Simon, Markus and Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
Roma_Orbis
Consul

ad avgvsta per angvsta

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:06:35 am »

Lars,

Shocked Is it a frontal competition with CA?? Does it contain even more data?

Jérôme
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:16:20 am »

Jérôme,

we first planned to launch this later this year but hurried a bit the last days. The database also cointains Forvm Ancient Coins' sold coins and current stock (with links) and another dealer's database.

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
Roma_Orbis
Consul

ad avgvsta per angvsta

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:29:34 am »

Wonderful initiative! If I may give some very first impressions:
- I like how 'header' data (company/auction/lot number/...) is gathered (i.e. vs CA display)
- best display of the results (for me) are done when like CA, that is, 'without frames'. You should even spare the spaces between lots, so to add more results per page, to avoid having too many pages to scroll
- additional search criteria (by date/venue) will be very useful (I imagine that there will be possible improvements in the future ...)
- do you intend to recover other dealers data?

Bravissimo in any cases. Impressive.

Jérôme
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:37:29 am »

Jérôme,

thank you for the suggestions! We are currently working on the left scroll list, and yes, by the time, we may also ask other dealers if we can include their databases.

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
berserkrro
Consul

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:42:05 am »

Congrats! Impressive! Is a breath of fresh air after last days bad news. A question: search terms are with "AND" as default? Best regards!
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:45:16 am »

A question: search terms are with "AND" as default?

It works with "+" instead of "AND", but yes, it is as default, so you don't have to write the "+". If you want to avoid a certain term, use "-".

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
Roma_Orbis
Consul

ad avgvsta per angvsta

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:51:01 am »

another item on the wish list (shame on me Grin): mention of the auction fees, for example Price realized 1000 Euros + 180 Euros. That may not be simple, though the number of auction houses is not huge, but the fees may vary across time, and may depend upon the purchaser being a national or not.

Jérôme
maridvnvm
Tribunus Plebis 2008
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 08:56:37 am »

What would you like to do if we find attribution errors? I have already found one, which is a typical Probus attribution error.
Regards,
Martin
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 09:05:36 am »

Martin,

a commentary function will be added soon.

Jérôme,

since auction fees vary from company to company and also change over the years, we can not include them.

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
goldenancients
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 09:25:27 am »

I hope you have enough bandwidth to handle all the traffic your going to have in the next few days. Smiley
I love the format... even the scrolling left frame. I hope that every dealer of ancient coins out there will back your
efforts to keep this information public and free. That in and of itself would be a badge of honor to any dealer
to add alongside of "ACCG Benefactor," "ANS Member,"  ... "ACSEARCH contributor."

I hope you can hear the corporate applause of all the ancient coin collectors out there!

Roma_Orbis
Consul

ad avgvsta per angvsta

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 09:50:53 am »

Lars,

How did you manage the issue that Gatlin met (see http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=54956.msg341229;topicseen#msg341229):
"Unfortunately, the data in the CoinArchives database is not owned by me; the copyrights are held by the auction firms. Therefore, the use of this data is not simply a matter of my own choice. Great pressure has been put on me for several years by some of the data contributors, and the site model you see today is, essentially, a compromise position."

Did you just avoid to include data from auction houses exerting their copyrights?

Jérôme
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 10:05:02 am »

Jérôme,

when we started the two projects (romanatic.com and acsearch.info), we requested and received permission from the auction houses to use their pictures and descriptions for non-commercial purposes, as long as we credit their companies. I can not comment the pressure that has been put to Coinarchives since I don't know what exactly happened.

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
xintaris75
Consul

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 10:43:47 am »

Beautiful database, guys.
Thank you for yours work!

Ω ΖΕΥ, ΠΑΤΕΡ ΖΕΥ,
ΣΟΝ ΜΕΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΚΡΑΤΟΣ.
ΣΥ Δ' ΕΡΓ' ΕΠ' ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΟΡΑΪΣ
ΛΕΩΡΓΑ ΚΑΙ ΘΕΜΙΣΤΑ.
ΣΟΙ ΔΕ ΘΗΡΙΩΝ ΥΒΡΙΣ ΤΕ ΚΑΙ ΔΙΚΗ ΜΕΛΕΙ.
Akropolis
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 11:09:25 am »

WELL DONE!
THANK YOU!
I note in one coin I checked, the annotation on price realized said "data no longer available," or something like that. Did you use links to CA?
PeteB

Hydatius
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 11:16:01 am »

I just made a donation. I like to think of it as a poke in the eye of the auction houses that forced the change on CoinArchives.

Richard

Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 11:24:01 am »

If it says "Unsold or unknown price", then the lot usually was unsold. If on Source, it says "no longer available", then the source can't be automatically tracked anymore. Yes, there were also links to CA.

Thank you for the positive feedback so far, and for the donations that have been made.

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
casata137ec
Caesar

Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 11:41:39 am »

Fantastic job! Easy to use and quick load. Bookmarked and used twice successfully.  Grin

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 11:51:41 am »

Tom,

we are looking into this. You probably searched ACS for CNG only, but that search excludes CNG's printed auctions. If you compare CNG's electronic auctions only with ACS' search for CNG, the difference is only 158 to 133, and that probably is because ACS includes CNG's results only up to April '09 so far.

A list of contributors will be added soon.

kishim,

we are working on a world coin version, but it won't be online before the end of the year.

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
vitellivs
Caesar

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 01:25:41 pm »

great site!
Jochen
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 01:30:35 pm »

Well done, thanks!

Jochen

James Anderson
Consul

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 01:51:33 pm »

It may need a little tweaking. I tried searching for an AE3 of Julian II, to get an
idea of pricing. "julian II siscia" gave me all Julians. "julian II siscia
-pannonia -pannonien" shortened the list down to a manageable number. It didn't
have the one I was looking for, but still looks like a very useful resource-Jim A 
Enodia
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

~ For My Star ~

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 02:03:01 pm »

nicely done Lars, and thank you!

the format is wonderful... i find it both functional and user friendly.

~ Peter

dougsmit
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 03:47:47 pm »

I'm happy to see this start of a useful site.  As it stands, the database is tiny and shares with Coin Archives a 'bias' toward high value coins since many of the contributing dealers tend to sell expensive items.   If it expands to include the more common coins and the rarities that make appearances in Forvm discussions it will be very useful.  For a collector like me, a catalog of VCoins listings would be more useful than those of Lanz and their peers.

I would look forward to the comment section and, like maridvnum, my first look turned up a matter of 'error' or at least attribution discussion.  Even the best auction catalog will have an ocassional error.  Even the most knowledgable and honest firm will ocassionally list a fake coin.  There needs to be a way to tell that the 'unsold' coin was unsold because the auction firm pulled it as a fake.  This is covered on Forvm.  It would be nice if such changes could be ammended to the database if the owners of the database agree that the change or footnote is warrented.

One way of doing this would be a Forvm style (whether or not a separate category is welcome on this Forvm is Joe's call) encouraging mention and discussion of errors, questions of reading or fake reports found in Acsearch.  Owners of this new resource could review arguments and decide if there should be any notation on the coin.  The downside I see to this is that a few hundred error corrections on lots by any one dealer might leave the impression that the dealer is not as reliable as we might wish. 

I hope the owners of this new service will feel comfortable working with the collecting  community and not just a very small list of auction houses.

cliff_marsland
Caesar

O Sulla, please save us from fools and villains.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 04:03:40 pm »

I am very pleased to see this site.  Most of the coins that I searched for  on coinarchives were the expensive and obscure ones that I normally wouldn't be able to collect..  I'm glad to see them back.  As the site expands to include regular coins, it will be even more useful.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: acsearch.info - an Ancient Coin Search Engine « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop