Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Coin Collector's Dillemma  (Read 5383 times)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Re: The Coin Collector's Dillemma
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 04:24:22 pm »
Well, I wasn't thinking about those creepy people who own many modern guns, wear cammo, and actually shoot them (and not at target practive).  My idea was more like wheellocks, flintlocks, and Colt revolvers.  I had thought to include steam tractors (I would collect them, if I could)!  G.S.

speaking of creepy...a coworker's wife collects bones...

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 04:25:04 pm »
Collecting sometimes is very dangerous! Do you know that Stalin has killed in his Big Purge not only his military leaders and the kulaks, but thousands of stamp-collectors too?

Best regards

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 04:31:51 pm »
Perhaps they insisted on showing him their collections!  Cheers, Geo.S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 04:42:03 pm »
Did somebody say "steam trains"?
Thats another of my lonely hobbies !
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 04:44:07 pm »
Hi George!

I think the reason was their contact to foreign countries. The same fate met the rabbit breeders because they were organized in small closed clubs.

Best regards

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 05:09:56 pm »
Just like the early Christians in the Empire!  GS
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 05:25:36 pm »
Perhaps they insisted on showing him their collections!  Cheers, Geo.S.

LOL!

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 02:47:08 am »
Collecting sometimes is very dangerous! Do you know that Stalin has killed in his Big Purge not only his military leaders and the kulaks, but thousands of stamp-collectors too?

I knew there was a good reason I never collected stamps. Speaking of that... we ought to arrange a football game. Full contact. Philatelists vs Numismatists. I bet the coin collectors would kick the stamp's collective butt.  ;D
You guys that collect both could ref.

Just a thought.  :-\

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 03:55:51 am »
I took some umbrage of the casual insult of gun owners - I would hardly call gun collectors/owners "creepy."  In fact, a decent number of them also collect coins too, although the majority seem to be into American coins.   I don't really want to get into the socio-political aspects (I'm sure it's a hot-button issue even outside of the U.S.), as this really isn't the place, but I would hardly insult one for exercising ones' Constitutional rights, or defending oneself from criminals.   I'm not trying to start a full row, but I felt I had to defend people, in a fairly civil way,  who shouldn't be considered pariahs.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 05:08:35 am »
Your umbrage is duly noted. I too am an advocate of proper gun control... i.e. aim and steadiness, and would probably increase my collection of firearms if I had any cash left over from buying ancient coins. No offense is meant towards the stamp collecting community either (other than the coin collectors kicking you tail at football. ;D)

Retrospectator

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 05:26:12 am »
I knew there was a good reason I never collected stamps. Speaking of that... we ought to arrange a football game. Full contact. Philatelists vs Numismatists. I bet the coin collectors would kick the stamp's collective butt.  ;D

They'd lick us. :D

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:34 am »

They'd lick us. :D

LOL  :laugh:

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »
I didn't intend to insult anyone, but seriously, that's how anyone who owns handguns is going to be seen in Britain. In the countryside, shotguns are OK, possibly a rifle, but that's as far as it goes. Old flintlocks would be seen as antiques, but I can't imagine anyone but the collector getting interested in them. A collection of handguns would creep anyone out. I'm well aware that it's a different culture, and what's acceptable in one isn't necessarily going to be so in the other. To us, a handgun is something you murder people with, and nothing more. To Americans, they have historical resonances (I think) that they never would here.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 05:36:52 pm »
I do greatly appreciate and accept the apology, although your initial comment wasn't the primary one that drove me to feel compelled to make a reply. 

It's not really the place for me to get into a firearms discussion, but as I understand it, classic Britain was fairly good about private firearms.  I wouldn't have minded living there pre-1945, with respect to the many good Britons that still live there. I'm trying to get my point through without meaning offense, America's not perfect either.. I really admire the classic Englishman, as portrayed by Agatha Christie,various British historic figures,  etc.

I have never been to Britain, but I deeply admire the countryside there, and the classic estates.  It also doesn't hurt that there's Roman coins in Britain!  How cool would that be to dig up some coins!

The BBC seems to be on a decline in terms of radio drama, but it still puts out far better radio drama than we've had here since 1962. I enjoy classic British comedy as well - one of my all-time favorite programs is the Men From the Ministry.   I also am deeply into English language radio drama (as well as 1930s radio sets - I'm listening to a popular radio show on a 1937 Zenith tombstone as I type this), primarily pre-1960, but I'll collect and appreciate any decent broadcast of any time.

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 05:45:42 pm »
With proper permits(good luck); you can have this guarding your coin collection in US:

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 05:57:31 pm »
Way cool!

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 06:41:27 pm »
A friend of mine collects walking-sticks. That's very exclusive! A cone of king Frederic II of Prussia or from Churchill are like the Blue Mauritius for philatelists. He once had a cone where the grip was a stiletto hidden in the shaft. One day the police stood before his hous showing him a search warrant and browsed all his sticks, hundreds of them. The stiletto stick and some other were confiscated and he got a penalty order because of the forbidden property of perfidious weapons. That's Germany!

To possess weapons is allowed only criminals!  ;)

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity