Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Coin Collector's Dillemma  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
The Coin Collector's Dillemma
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:40:18 pm »
There is no one else I know that collects ancient coins (except online and dealers I buy from). Which make finding this site very nice for me... to find that there are actually other people in the world that have the same probl... same obsession and love for ancient coins as I do. Most of my friends and family think I'm crazy for spending money on little pieces of metal which mean nothing to them at all. (No appreciation for history). My wife supports my hobby, but is uninterested in the coins or the history behind it. I've been accused of living in the past too much. But what can I say? I'm a history buff and an ancient coin collector.

Anyone else surrounded by those who just don't understand, or is it just me?

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Re: The Coin Collector's Dillemma
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:43:07 pm »
I am a Chinese interested in ROMAN history...enough said ;)

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:40:20 am »
Anyone else surrounded by those who just don't understand, or is it just me?

Pretty much universal I suspect...you either dig the subject matter of ancients, or you don't...and most don't.

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 04:05:07 pm »
I think most of this forum would agree with you.  Myself, I just finished my BA in Classics and every single one of my good friends was either a business or pre-med student.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:09:14 pm »
Same story, always. I've learned quite early (30 years ago) not to suggest people I could show them my collection, they always find it boring. I wait until they ask, then, poor them, I start to show off  ;D
I must admit they NEVER ask. That's why FORVM is great : you don't have to ask for permission, there is always someone interested  :)

Regards
Potator

Offline JRoME

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 05:22:47 pm »
My friends and family also think I'm crazy. When I start talking about the hobby their eyes glaze over.  I'm glad everyone doesn't collect because then it would be too expensive.

I would be interested in a local club if there were one that meets in MA, USA.

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:23:58 pm »
Coin collecting can be a very lonely hobby,especially ancients.
I learned long ago that my friends aren't interested,
I have sent my parents ,brothers,kids a link to my Gallery,which they haven't looked at,
my kids say,in jest, they will look at my collection after they inherit it.
My wife is the only one that shows interest,
she listens very attentively when I am going on and on about a coin.
but I think that has something to do with the 2 hours of recorded soap operas we watch
each night(while I am working on ancients)
;D
Thats why I enjoy this forvm so much.
Here is a whole world of people to learn from,and just hang on the boards with.

Well,see ya around, Bud
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:31:39 pm »
I can show people occasional coins and make them interesting.  Experience delivering training is useful in seeing when to change tack and when to stop talking. The best response I had was with my young nieces, when I put together a sequence of coins showing hairstyles of the rich and famous, 2,000 years ago.  That's now one of my web pages!

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:40:28 pm »
can we see the web page in question?

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 05:43:33 pm »
I agree, we have probably all had the disheartening experience of trying to show your collection to somebody, perhaps even a loved one, expecting them to be as impressed as you are but instead getting a decidedly nonplussed response to the little pieces of old metal. Like Potator I quickly learned not to force my collecting on others or expect anyone to be as remotely interested in my coins as I am, even my partner. That being said, if someone asks to see them then I thoroughly enjoy giving them a whistestop tour of my collection and some of the stories behind the coins.
Whilst most of the general public have very little regard for history and fail to appreciate how enpowering an understanding of events gone by can be, I do find that placing a 2000 year old coin in their hand often succeeds in illiciting a response at least, even if it is just mild curiosity.

I still find it incredible that myself and every one of us can, without too much difficulty, collect and own amazing ancient, emotive, works of art (because that's what coins are) from all around the world.

Despite all this, Never let other people's dismissive attitudes detract from your own enjoyment in this wonderful hobby.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:02:03 pm »
I can agree with all of you. And the first question is always: "How much worth are they?"

Best regards

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:17:37 am »
can we see the web page in question?

Thanks for asking.  It is here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/hairstyle_coins.html

I can agree with all of you. And the first question is always: "How much worth are they?"

Jochen, my nieces have learned to ask slightly more irritating questions.  Starting with "Have you got any gold coins?" And the last one was "Have you got one of Cleopatra?" To which I was able to say "I have one of the first Cleopatra, much better than the late-comer 7th!" But unfortunately this was not the right answer, it seems.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 06:09:45 am »
I have one of the first Cleopatra, much better than the late-comer 7th!

;D

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 10:50:53 pm »
I have experienced everything you all have...but you guys have left somthing out...how bout the lonely hours sitting at a coin shop counter over a velvet tray, sifting through the dregs of ancient coins trying to find somthing half way decent at a local shop that is not 4x's the price you could find online...you look to your left and there is a guy pouring over Mercury dimes...to the right there is a guy haggling over the price of gold Eagles...and you are the only guy in the shop who is looking at ancients...you find a nice *insert coin here*, look around to share it with someone and find no one to share it with! That blows.

As for my wife's interest...it goes as far as making sure paypal has not showed up too many times on the bank statement in a given month... ;)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 11:31:06 pm »

As for my wife's interest...it goes as far as making sure paypal has not showed up too many times on the bank statement in a given month... ;)

Chris

The foresight of maintaining separate bank accounts  ;)

Also - by selling a little bit - I sell other coins, not ancients (actually mostly rubbish), the phrase "cost neutral" can be used with only minimal embarassment  ;D

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 03:12:27 am »
Your average coin shop may have one or two of those velvet trays with ancients in them (if your lucky). I was in a shop not to long ago looking over the eight ancient coins they had for sale. (He had to look hard to find 'em.) Of course, some times this is not a bad thing. One of the coins was listed for $595, but he said the coins had been sitting in that tray for years and I was the first one to ever ask to look at them. He let me have it for $100 just to move the merchandise. So, lack of interest also means lack of competition.

Truthfully, I hope that interest grows in our hobby to sow seeds of knowledge with the rest of the world who is either oblivious to ancient coin collecting or hostile to it. And it's always nice to have someone who shares your interest!

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 07:49:21 am »
Those of us who concentrate on ancient Romans can't experience the "loneliness" of someone like me who concentrates on a less-than-popular area of medieval numismatics (Hungarian).  Talk about collecting in a near vacuum...

I published a series of articles last year (with another series about to hit the press) but neither my wife nor my children would even read them. 

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 08:04:20 am »
In my experience if a person is not at all into history they won't be interested in seeing or talking about ancients, other than to know "how much $$".  My family puts up with my hobby and may think I'm a bit weird (but there may be other reasons for that!!).  I have an ancient's screensaver on my work computer so I do get some interest from co-workers but in my field many are already interested in history.  I have to say that if it weren't for the wonderful, intelligent and supportive people on FORVM this hobby would be a heck of a lot lonelier.  I used to collect trade cards and because there was no brother and sisterhood of similar hobby enthusiasts I lost interest.  I think having the ability to ask questions, share your thoughts, agree, disagree, etc. is critical for the enjoyment of any hobby!  Ancients rock!

Steve

romeo

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 08:10:46 am »
I  have spent hours and hours, weeks and weeks, months and months building my website up from nothing. None of my family or friends can be bothered to look at it, and the ones i force to, only critise. How demoralising is that. But not as bad as the fact that it hardly gets any hits lol. Wasted hours? well not for me. My site, my coin collections give me a place to escape from the hectic world and time travel back 2000 years. Sometimes i am glad its just mine, but it is nice to read the forum and participate.

Retrospectator

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 10:00:01 am »
I sometimes wonder to what extent people outside the coin collecting sphere are influenced by the belief that "those ancient coins can't be real, you only get authentic coins in a museum"; a belief that could manifest itself in an indifference, or even discouragement towards a friend's collecting habits. I actually managed to persuade a work colleague of mine to the contrary and he actually ended up buying a Roman coin himself (albeit the tentative, exploratory, cheap fourth century bronze first purchase). When afterwards he told me that he was going to make a key ring out of it I wish I hadn't bothered  :o . Perhaps the only other people who might be interested in hearing about your collection - apart from other FORVM members - are those nocturnals who go around carrying a bag marked "swag".  :-X

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 10:38:20 am »
LOL!

Classical numismatics certainly was the loneliest of hobbies before the Classical Numismatics Discussion began. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 03:31:17 pm »
I am a Chinese interested in ROMAN history...enough said ;)

You are not alone...some even believe to be descended from Romans (although I think it was disproven)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1541421/Roman-descendants-found-in-China.html

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 03:52:20 pm »
ALL collectors of ALL physical objects are in this position in regard to friends and family -- with the possible exception of art, firearms, and automobiles.  And, yes, the question is always "what did it cost."  George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 04:07:18 pm »
I think a lot of it's cultural. Art and cars would be regarded as interesting this side of the Atlantic, so would steam trains. Guns would be decidedly creepy. Collectors of ancient coins might be nut cases, but at least they won't shoot anyone with them!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 04:17:38 pm »
Well, I wasn't thinking about those creepy people who own many modern guns, wear cammo, and actually shoot them (and not at target practive).  My idea was more like wheellocks, flintlocks, and Colt revolvers.  I had thought to include steam tractors (I would collect them, if I could)!  G.S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity