Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Forvm Award For Numismatic Excellence?

Yes
22 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 16, 2008, 06:16:22 am

Author Topic: Münzkabinett der Staatliche Museen zu Berlin - Award Poll  (Read 7170 times)

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Münzkabinett der Staatliche Museen zu Berlin - Award Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:41:01 am »
The Berlin has an important Alexandrian collection. The search engine is not that good. I tried to locate the Geta issues, using Geta in the search field, but received no results!

Searching "Alexandria" yields the Alexandrian coins from Septimius Severus (including the Geta issues) to severus Alexander, plus a few others. Perhaps the other Alexandrian coins are there, but hidden in the search engine.

The Severan collection is very important. It lists two sole reign tetradrachms of Caracalla which confirm the reverse directions of Emmett-2819 and 2822. The obverse inscriptions, however are different than the one in Emmett-- they look like the longer drachm inscriptions. Berlin also has a Macrinus tetradrachm, with a strange looking Nike reverse..

Iwaniw

Keraunos

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 01:32:51 pm »
Dear Iwaniw,

of the Alexandrian coins of the imperial period in the Berlin cabinet's holdings only those of the Severan period have already been processed into the online catalogue (plus a few other which are on exhibition).
You will find the Geta coins either by typing 'Geta' in quick search (which brings up all  coins and entries with Geta's name) or  by typing 'Alexandria: Geta' which will show you only the alexandrian coins of this emperor.

There are 493 coins from Alexandria (Roman imperial period) online and three of Geta.

regrads,

K.

Offline wie-wolf

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 02:37:15 pm »
http://flickr.com/photos/14868225@N04/sets/72157607432314249/
my visit in the bode-museum and the münzkabinett
greetings
wie-wolf

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:49:28 pm »
Keraunos:

I thought I searched for "geta" and got no results, but I must have searched for "alexandria geta" and did not realize at the time that it searches for single words (or from your example, a string search) in the quick search.

I can not wait until the whole Alexandrian collection is put on line. It's an incredible collection! It's nice to see the actual photos of some of the Severan pieces which were only available in Vogt or von Sallet.

Iwaniw

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 02:19:39 pm »
Here is a reply from Dr. Bernhard Weisser, Project Manager:

"
thank you for these good news and the gif.  It is a great honour for us and the first award we got since our start in May 2007.  We put it as clickable on our Impressum-site http://www.smb.museum/ikmk/impressum.php?lang=de&PHPSESSID=a357ccce2f787048d0fbcfbf41c6401a.  We are grateful for the 22 voters and would be happy about every help which could make our site better known in the english speaking comunity.  Since today you can find all ten Krithote coins of our collection on the web (result of a discussion with Ed Snible) and some interesting corinthian bronzes (the Peirene complex).  Betsey A. Robinson took the godfatherhood for these coins.
"

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:57:23 pm »
Looks like I'm too late for voting.  This is a good site!  I wish the entire collection was online but the stuff they have done so far looks good.

Here is a link to a very nice specimen from Krithote in Thrace.  Most collections don't have anything from that city!
http://www.smb.museum/ikmk/object_print.php?objectNR=18215001

Offline Bartosz A

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 04:48:04 pm »
Great collection, great site!

Best regards,
Bartosz

jimm1909

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 04:38:30 pm »
The Berlin has an important Alexandrian collection. The search engine is not that good. I tried to locate the Geta issues, using Geta in the search field, but received no results!

Searching "Alexandria" yields the Alexandrian coins from Septimius Severus (including the Geta issues) to severus Alexander, plus a few others. Perhaps the other Alexandrian coins are there, but hidden in the search engine.

The Severan collection is very important. It lists two sole reign tetradrachms of Caracalla which confirm the reverse directions of Emmett-2819 and 2822. The obverse inscriptions, however are different than the one in Emmett-- they look like the longer drachm inscriptions. Berlin also has a Macrinus tetradrachm, with a strange looking Nike reverse..

Iwaniw

Thanks a lot, I have been looking for this information.  The Severan collection is of great interest to me.

daryy

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 08:28:28 am »
Thank you for everybody, i have chane to find this good site!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity