Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan 34mm AE Orichalcum sestertius?  (Read 397 times)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Trajan 34mm AE Orichalcum sestertius?
« on: June 24, 2009, 06:57:46 pm »
Well, I pulled out the ole jugs of distilled water and got to cleaning some coins that have been laying around for a while.  As I focus on Greeks, my Roman skills aren't that sharp.  This is one of about 10 coins I need a bit of help on.

I really like the following coin.  Nice and heavy.  Too bad it's a bit worn and pitted

In any event

Portrait looks like Trajan to me.

34mm  23.9grams

I believe that the attribution is as follows but would appreciate confirmation (or correction as the case may be):

Trajan. (98-117 AD). Orichalcum sestertius. Rome, 114-116 AD. IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P, bust laureate, draped right / FORT RED and S C in exergue, SENATVS POPVLVSQVE ROMANVS around, Fortuna Redux, veiled, seated left, holding rudder and cornucopia. BMCRE 1026. CBN 847. Cohen 158 (4 Fr.). RIC 652

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Re: Trajan 34mm AE Orichalcum sestertius?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 05:36:33 am »
Spot on!

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: Trajan 34mm AE Orichalcum sestertius?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:32:49 am »
Thank you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity