Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: british uncleaned...  (Read 1437 times)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
british uncleaned...
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:23:05 pm »
so I just got a group of british uncleaned coins, I was wondering what would be the best way to treat/clean them.  Quite a few has details but covered in hard green things...

Any helpful pointers are welcomed.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: british uncleaned...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »
I gave up soaking those things long ago!

I found that a careful scraping with a scalpel/blade, and viewing it through a lens to ensure that you don't damage the coin, will give you pretty good results.  (One small pointer, don't use too sharp a blade, slightly blunt will remove the crusts without damaging the coin surface too easily!)

I have used the pic below before, so apologies, but I think it demonstrates the type of coins and really good/bad examples of the crusts that you have on your coins.

regards

Mark

CzarMike

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:21:23 pm »
The Brits only react to aggressive action, the coins that is not historically.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:07:36 am »
I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.  Can you try again please?

regards

Mark

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 09:33:43 am »
I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.  Can you try again please?

regards

Mark
i think he is saying the coins react to aggressive cleaning action, and then he is saying he isn't talking Brits as a people.
All the best
Josh

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:52:07 am »
Soak them in alkaline oil a couple of days and the try mecanical cleaning procedures.

Start with the soft tools (nylon brushes and water, dental pic, ...). Use the harder ones (brass brush, scalpel, steel tools,... ) only if there is a continuous hard surface (eg. solid patina) than can resist your cleaning below the layers of dirt and oxides.

Before you hurt that surface significantly - stop.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:16:28 pm »

regards

Mark
i think he is saying the coins react to aggressive cleaning action, and then he is saying he isn't talking Brits as a people.
All the best
Josh
Ah, understood  :)

Offline larry c

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 05:01:31 pm »
Soak them in alkaline oil a couple of days and the try mecanical cleaning procedures.

I remember you mentioning alkline oil as a soak before,
can you refresh my memory on the type of oil you use?
“Do you have the patience to do nothing"

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 05:09:21 pm »
I simply use neat weapons oil (cause the diluted versions in evaporable solvents are more expensive but not much better if you have time).

(Send me a pm if you need the exact brand name - but i think every well known oil that protects gun material is suitable.)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity